Zoo colony having trouble....

TomD

Non-member
I have a purple/pink/bluish zoo colony that "was" really nice. It was one of my first ones so it started under PC lights and grew to a nice bearable size.

When I upgraded to a larger tank I acclimated my corals to MH 150's. Everything acclimated fine and I have many other zoos except for this colony.

Then I upgraded to 250's.

At first it was reaching for the light real bad with the 150's so I had moved it up higher in the tank and it still reached. I moved it up higher even with the 250's next to another thriving colony because it was still reaching:eek:

Now, most of the polyps are opened up, although they do not look nearly as good. 3-4 of the polyps are still stuck up higher than the rest?

I removed the colony to inspect. I didnt want to disturb it anymore but I had to make sure there were no predators causing the tall polyps--nothing.

Anything I could/should do? It has never acclimated to metal halide even though my other 15+ zoo frags/colonies did?

You have to remember that they will look different under different lighting also. PC and MH will make the look different.

Yes but color has nothing to do with polyps sticking up higher than the rest. I am going to move it back to the sand but it was already there for 2 weeks and was not better. I guess it is just a tough one to acclimate. Hopefully it comes back.

Try putting them in a area with a overhang so it's slighty shaded. Going for PC to 150 MH then to 250 MH might be too much for these zoos in a short period.

Then why would they be reaching? I have another colony next to it thriving. I am going to give it a dip before I leave it alone for a while.

I inspected it but something just seems wrong. I hope I am wrong...

I have a lot of nice zoos. It just seems wierd that a few polyps are sticking up so high if they were not being irritated or eaten.

Last edited:
Have you added any new items in the last couple weeks? Think you might have a pest laying in the weeds? Nudies...can look just like Zoa, so look closely.

Ya I know Mark. I am going to dip them when I get home tonight just in case. I always treat incoming and I never had any get in so I dont think so but I want to make sure.

Could have just never adjusted to 3 light changes in 3 months.

I will let you know.

Light, Flow...All kinds of things...

I'd also let the tank settle for a bit before adding any new items for the next month or so...

What do you mean settle? I upgraed lights? I have not added any new fish or anything?

Everything else is thriving.

This zoo has not adjusted since the tank upgrade from the original pc's/

Well not really:D

So you think it will adjust it is just taking longer than all my others?

I shouldn't frag off the good polyps to be safe?

Ok, I am going to put it back on the bottom with the rest of zoo city after I dip to be sure.

That was my plan and that is what I do with everything with the exception of parameters but the 3 polyps sticking up made me want to check.

Keep an eye on it, don't worry about 3 polyps, see what developes and IMO, try to keep your hands out of the tank when you can.

Back