100 things every reefer should know

nitrofish

reefing again!
ill start.

have patience, nothing happens overnight.(except for the bad stuff).

when filling your tank,doing a water change,or top offs quality water maters.

#97 Dont skimp when buying equimpment, you will spend more in the long run if you try to save a few dollars in the beginning with cheap equipment.

#96 An ounce of prevention will save you tons of headaches.

#95 TWO WORDS.... QT EVERYTHING

#92 Never base your decisions solely on advice from the LFS, no matter how bad you want the item in question.

#91 When shopping livestock, it's always a good idea to bring Scott Michael's fish book with you.

#90 when you do add additives to the tank ( like a two part calc. supp. for example) test every day so that you have a mental image of whats happening in the tank chemically. Until the point that you know where you are withuot daily tests, then test weekly to confirm your thoughts. do this for first few months and youll understand the many changes the tank can go through.

#88 Never buy on impulse

#87 Plan for equipment failure: power outages, heaters getting stuck, timers not working... Ask yourself, what would happen if this piece of equipment fails?

#86 Patience is important, but procrastination is a path to the darkside

#85 Use a drip loop, a GFI and a titatium grounding probe. They can save your livestock and yourself.

#84 Overstocking leads to overfeeding and overfeeding is a path to the darkside

Last edited:
Oooh, good thread.
I like #91 a lot.
#88 is similar, but also applies to corals and everything else.
I'd add a sentence to each of them: Research first, then buy if you think you can handle it.

take time to inspect your aquarium for parasites, the sooner an infected tank is treated the better.

#79: You will get wet.
#78: Stock up when salt is on sale.

#77: Invest in a refractometer! I have been using a swing arm hydrometer for 5 years. I got a refractometer and was amazed at how far off my salinity was!

#75: Invest in a refractometer! I have been using a swing arm hydrometer for 5 years. I got a refractometer and was amazed at how far off my salinity was!

#74: Invest in good test kits. They will pay for themselves in short time........

Last edited by a moderator:
a double....#77 and #75...oopppsss.

#74...don't upset people you meet in this hobby...thier experiences could save you from making costly mistakes

#73 even if you don't drink always have a case a beer on hand for those who come over to save your tank.

Back