100 things every reefer should know

#26 Add quick lime (CaO) to water carefully and slowly -- dedicated to Armando;). Mixing CaO with water as a means of producing kalkwasser generates an enormous amount of heat from the chemical reaction.

#25- Always give yourself more time than you think it would take when cleanning, fixing things, re-aquascape, water change, etc. For some reason, it always take more time than you expected. And dont leave the job half finished!

#24 when you think your rocks are in the perfect place---take a picture cuz you will probably move them 100 more times

Last edited by a moderator:
#23 Saving money and cutting corners are two VERY different things...

#22 Skiptons, CRA, Reefdom, Beacon Aquarium, Aqua Addicts, Fishy Business, and Sea Creatures...(ok guys, pay up)

#21 Do not pet the queen trigger

#20 Never buy something that will depend on something you don't already have (i.e. "That tang will be fine until I can get my big tank"; "The coral will be fine, I'm getting better lights soon anyway", "I'm sure that jawfish will be OK until I add more sand"; and too many others!)

#19 Teflon tape saves lives (and hardwood floors)

#18 Get other members experiences with an animal/product before you bring it home, not after.

#17 READ...and then READ it again...
#16 water change + hot day = drunkeness (aka, mmmmmmargaritaaaa)

#15 even though it LOOKS like a shady drug deal(plastic bags, money, parking lots) I am just buying zoos...

#14 the more water you have going thru your tank the less likely you are to have heat problems. its always a good idea to have a sump

#12 And make sure that stand is level. Aquariums will easily twist to fit an uneven surface. This greatly comprimises their integrity and increases the chance of them unzipping in your living room; flooding and warping your precious hard wood floors with sea water, and costing you thousands of dollars in damage.

Steve

#11 Dow flake and baking soda are cost effective alternatives to two part additives that control AK and CA.

Steve

stevenp said:
#11 Dow flake and baking soda are cost effective alternatives to two part additives that control AK and CA.

Steve
#10 buy these and southdown while they are in season, they are hard to find out of season.

Back