14K MH, Ushio vs pheonix

JohnK

Staff member
BRS Member
I just replaced my pheonixes with ushios.

What a difference. I knew the ushios would be brighter and whiter (less blue), but WOW! I've got 3 layers of window screen blocking the light, and I moved the fixture up a couple of inches - the intensity is similar like this.

Color wise the ushio WITH vho actinics is a little whiter than the pheonix but still somewhat white/blueish.

We'll see as these bulbs burn in......

Anyway, just thought it might be an interesting topic. Pheonix bulbs are poplular but not that strong in PAR. These ushio's seem like a nice middle ground between the pheonix 14K and most quality 10K bulbs.

Anyone else tried both of these bulbs and have any input?

I'm about 2 weeks ahead of you John. I did a change from phoenix 14s to Ushio 14s. Magnetic ballasts in my maristar fixture. Burn in (subjectively) has not changed the color at all.

I'm seeing the same results....much whiter. Growth has been noticably better too. I miss (a little of) the phoenix blue, but you're right, a pretty amazing bulb.

I really like it, miss the bit of extra blue, and am worried that I'll burn some corals with the intensity :(

*I should admit that the phoenixs that I replaced were about 15 months old :eek: *

jimmy and jay, thanks for sharing your experience with these 2 bulbs. Do either of you have experience with XMs to be able to contrast that with the Phoenix and/or Ushio as you've described above?

Which XM's?

I've used the 400W 10K se, and they are noticibly more yellow (and probably higher PAR, relatively speaking) than the 250 DE 14K ushios at start up.

I guess I'm a bad reefer, but all I didn't do anything after I changed out my bulbs, other than shortening my MH photoperiod by an hour (down to 9 hours) and putting the height 1" higher, because I was going from my reef-ghetto wooden maristar fixture holder to the maristar-approved legs for the fixture. I also cleaned the dirty glass. My bulbs were just about 1 year old.

I couldn't take the Phoenix 14's, just to Blue for me but I wouldn't mind a little more Blue than the 10k's I'm using now.

Seeking the ideal middle ground :)

Pheonixs are like half way between 10 and 20 K. They look really cool, and offer OK growth. The ushios look brighter but less blue, I'm guessing they will offer better growth.

It's a balance of what your corals need, and what looks nice IMO/IME.

Kev, Look at the Ushios the next time you're at CRA. Jeremy has a nice fixture with one running.

I can't speak for them, but I've setup sps tanks in the shop with the 14k ushio on one side & the 10k AB (the best 10k) on the other.. the end result is very similar with a slightly better visual color. They are my 2 favorite lamps by far, but I've been mostly installing ushios of late.

XM is chinese. As with all of the chinese lamps, they will grow things but still don't compare to european lamps. You do still get what you pay for in halide lamps. Having said that, there is no reason to pay extra for megachrome lamps, they are ushio/blv lamps in more expensive boxes.

^ This is why I plunked down my Visa and bought my bulbs at CRA, instead of trying to save 16 cents and buy it online. You CAN'T get a better experience than seeing the bulbs live, side by side.
Thanks again for the walkthrough Jeremy.

jimmy and jay, thanks for sharing your experience with these 2 bulbs. Do either of you have experience with XMs to be able to contrast that with the Phoenix and/or Ushio as you've described above?

i have run both the phoenix 14ks and xm 10ks (icecap electronic).

the xm 10ks have some SERIOUS par but they were imo a little too yellow. you def will need actinic support if you are going to run xm10ks. i still prefer the look of the 14k phoenixes even though as jimmy said, the par value is relatively weak.

the xm10ks would prob be perfect over a frag tank.

The ushio 14ks are somewhere in between. Thats why I posted about it :)

If any of you are running any 175 mh....The best color around & Par, by far,hands down.........Iwasaki 15K.....I bought three to try...liked them so much bought 6 more...They have an intensity of a 250 watt MH in a 175 lamp....You can only get them in a 175 though.....

I've been a fan of ushio for years & years.....(10K) These bulbs make the 10K's by ushio look yellow!!!

(I've tried ushios, & ab's in 10 & 13 Kelvin from 175's ,250's to 400's SE) Everyone who has seen these iwasaki 15K lit in my tank love the color....

I actually get asked all the time what I'm running for MH Kelvin

The only down side...I was running 20K 175 for a couple years before switching to the 15K...Even shortening the time on the lighting period I roasted a few corals.....Bleached them a bit white on the top....all recovered....But I should have used a screen....If I knew they were that intense I would have......

HTH,
B

I just switched from reeflux 14k to ushio 14k bulbs, the reeflux were only 2 and 3 months old and I still bleached a couple of corals. The growth and color is MUCH better. I do with it was a little more blue though because I like that look.

So are we comparing bulbs of equal age here or are we comparing the PAR output of a new bulb to that of an old bulb?

Well I just replaced very old pheonixs with new ushios.

Of course that is a good part of the difference, but they are also very different bulbs. (Check out jeremy's set up to see them side by side)

>XM is chinese. As with all of the chinese lamps, they will grow things but still don't compare to european lamps.<

One annoying thing I (and others) have found is that the XM bulbs (and I'm generalizing here because I've used 400, 250, and 175 watters) seem to be rather inconsistent. I was originally very happy with the look of the 10K XM 175 W, but then I got one that really did not have a normal output.

I also like the 175W 15K Iwasaki's. I just replaced the one in my tank at work, and things really perked up. When they first came out it seemed like they were pretty cheap, but unfortunately, now that they are more popular it seems like they've become more expensive as well.

Back