14K MH, Ushio vs pheonix

Holy Crap. I replaced my old stock outer orbit MH bulbs with Ushio 14K bulbs. My corals have grown more in the last month then in the 6 months prior. My blueberry acro and tri-color acro are exploding. The Ushio looks less bright then my old 10K bulbs (understandably so) but the corals are loving them.

Just reviving this thread for anyone considering bulbs.

I'm half way through my second set. I still like them :)

I wanted to let you guys know about an interesting talk I had with an Ushio Lighting Engineer at MACNA. We were going over the color chart of the 14k Ushio bulb. He showed me there is a big spike at 420 nanometers. That is the spectrum where most corals fluoresce, and the Ushio 14k does a good job covering it. There is a second spectrum that causes fluorescence is around 454 nm. If you look at Radium color charts you will see their spike is around this range. The Ushio 14k bulb on the other hand does not cover this area very well. So if you are going to supplement Ushio's with Actinics make sure you get some 454 nm bulbs to make it up.
I just installed two 454nm VHO bulbs, and I can see more corals flourescing. It seems to me that red corals are benefitting the most from the 454 nm bulbs. My Superman Monti polyps are really glowing, and Acan's are really shining as well. Ushio 14ks with 454 nm Actinics are my new favorite lighting choice.

I love my 14K Ushio's and thought I would never ever change! But I may have to give them up next month to a mogul because I bought a new tank. The reflector I am going to use is a Lumenarc mogul reflector(I already have it and it will cover a 40B nicely). I hope to find a bulb similar to the Ushio in an SE. I am not happy about switching:(

Last edited:
I love my 14K Ushio's and thought I would never ever change! But I may have to give them up next month to a mogul because I bought a new tank. The reflector I am going to use is a Lumenarc mogul reflector(I already have it and it will cover a 40B nicely). I hope to find a bulb similar to the Ushio in an SE. I am not happy about switching:(

Ushio doesn't make an SE version?

Gardiner'

Where did you get the 454's I'm replacing bulbs in the next week and want to give them a try.

Who are they made by and what model. I need 2 48" bulbs. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Tabi, they do make an SE version:

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...K-250SE-U&Category_Code=mh-250w&Store_Code=PA

In case anyone is interested in knowing, Ushio has donated bulbs for the raffle at BRASS.....and I err, suggested that they send the 250w 14k bulbs, because they're the ones I'M going to win. :p

Tabi, they do make an SE version:

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...K-250SE-U&Category_Code=mh-250w&Store_Code=PA

In case anyone is interested in knowing, Ushio has donated bulbs for the raffle at BRASS.....and I err, suggested that they send the 250w 14k bulbs, because they're the ones Tab's going to win. :p

I have heard that the SE veersion is not the same color as the DE bulb's. I wish someone has these bulbs running so I could see the color beffore I bought them. It took me buying A LOT of bulbs to find the 14K's that I fell in love with, especially since I do not run supplemental lighting.

Check with Don (Reefermedic), IIRC he runs at least one SE ushio 14K

Gardiner'

Where did you get the 454's I'm replacing bulbs in the next week and want to give them a try.

Who are they made by and what model. I need 2 48" bulbs. Thanks in advance

I got 454 nm UVL bulbs with internal reflectors at Aquarium Specialty.

I made the mistake of not measuring my old bulbs. They were marked 48, but were actually 46.5". Luckily I was able to modify the connections.

Just Ordered

I wanted to let you guys know about an interesting talk I had with an Ushio Lighting Engineer at MACNA. We were going over the color chart of the 14k Ushio bulb. He showed me there is a big spike at 420 nanometers. That is the spectrum where most corals fluoresce, and the Ushio 14k does a good job covering it. There is a second spectrum that causes fluorescence is around 454 nm. If you look at Radium color charts you will see their spike is around this range. The Ushio 14k bulb on the other hand does not cover this area very well. So if you are going to supplement Ushio's with Actinics make sure you get some 454 nm bulbs to make it up.
I just installed two 454nm VHO bulbs, and I can see more corals flourescing. It seems to me that red corals are benefitting the most from the 454 nm bulbs. My Superman Monti polyps are really glowing, and Acan's are really shining as well. Ushio 14ks with 454 nm Actinics are my new favorite lighting choice.

Just ordered a 14k Ushio and 2 32 watt 460mn pc actinics. The Current 10k bulb and those 420/460 actinins stink, way too white.

Just ordered a 14k Ushio and 2 32 watt 460mn pc actinics. The Current 10k bulb and those 420/460 actinins stink, way too white.

I need to order more T5's to replace the 420 and 460's I have. I have a current fixture too and the bulbs arent good.

Power compacts are ok for supplimental actinic lighting along with MH but I wouldn't use them by themselves for lighting a tank. The short 14" length make them ideal in a MH pendant but that's about it.

Back