1st attempt at my 90 Stand build ( Picture Heavy )

Ba19Ma88

Non-member
So I picked up a 90 Gallon from Aqua Addicts (Thanks for the great deal) a while ago and was not happy with the standard stand that came with it in looks and style. So what does any guy with a few tools and a good idea do, you got it make your own.

stand frame 3.JPGstand frame 4.JPGstand frame curtts.JPGstand frame.JPGstand frame2.JPG

Went online and found a few (a lot) of great build threads here and other forums. I picked one I liked and went from there. Figured my shopping list for lumber and went to HD and spent a long time sorting through the 2x4x8’s looking for straight one. Selected my lumber and then off to the plywood section and grabbed a nice ½ finished birch sheet. Now off to the trim / molding section for a nice not to busy trim molding.

plywood.JPGstand build 1.JPGstand build 2.JPG

I started the build and it went together surprisingly well here. I started it in the basement and then had to bring up all the components to assemble in the kitchen as there would be no way to get it upstairs by myself and I wanted a dust free as possible place to assemble and finish. Yes I have a supportive wife that let me take up the kitchen for a week or so.
int led light.JPGint work light.JPGpc fan.JPGrough finish.JPGside detail.JPGstand int paint.JPG

I painted the interior several coats of Kilz and then some white paint topped off with a few coats of poly. I added a LED light to act as a utility light when I am working in the sump area. It even has a remote and runs on AAA batteries and was only like 15.00 the LEDs swivel and it has pretty decent coverage..

light bar.JPG

I then fabricated a light bar using the ¾ conduit and then did a spray can job of textured paint (Hammered metal it was called)
I am still working on then doors and I am going to build a matching side table/cabinet next to it for storage and I will mount my DJ (8) switch to be exposed in the front of the table/cabinet and have the cords run inside and connect to the switch inside the table/cabinet. This will also have a couple shelf’s inside to store frequently used items / food and dry goods.
Here are some photos

1st coat finish.JPGfinsih coat.JPGside detail.JPG

first time I guess I got a little lucky. Forgot to get a shot the cord hole in the back of the tank is not covered by strips of thinly sliced inner tube to cut down on light escaping the back of the stand due to cords.

Looks awesome. I wish I was as talented as you and some of the other builders on here will carpentry. I hate my stand and custom stands like this are the way to go.

Wow nice job. Looks like a piece of furniture instead of a generic tank stand.

Here is a bit more, I spent a couple of hours in the basement working on the matching side table / cabinet. I installed the DJ switch and am tossing around the idea of putting tile on the top surface. I still need to make the door and install the furniture feet. the feet and the trim molding will be the same color as the tank stand trip. photo 1.JPGtable2.JPGtable3.JPG

Going to scrap the tile idea, I am glad I did not grout it and instead simply laid it on it so I could get a feel of what it would look like. Instead going to go Birch ply again but we may end up getting a piece of glass cut to size to go over it

I am looking to build a stand myself for my 90. Also have a 40b for the sump. what size sump are you going to have? Would a 40b fit in your build?

I am looking to build a stand myself for my 90. Also have a 40b for the sump. what size sump are you going to have? Would a 40b fit in your build?

I built the stand with access in mind and my stand height is 4 inches taller than the AGA stand that came with it. As far as the Sump I went with the larger Oceanic Sump and I think it is 30-35 gallons I am not sure about the size of the 40B but I could probably fit 19w x42l x 28h but the height may be a pain down the road. Probably If I was looking to get a tank I would stick to 20 inches tall

Back