400 watt over a 65

muddskipper

Non-member
Looking for opinions....

Looking at putting a single 400 watt halide with either a 10k or 14k bulb over a 65, is this gonna be overkill or should it be allright..
The main reef is going to sit low in the tank not reaching more than halfway up for coral growth and open water for a few fish.. The tank is planned for mostly SPS and will have a compliment of LPS and zoas along the bottom, also planning on a few clams and will be moving exsisting sps and clam tank into this.. currently running a 140 14k over a 29 and this will become the fuge/frag tank...

Other opinions are welcomed, am looking for fast growth on sps as well as color, the 65 will have a 4 inch fluctuation in the water level as the tank will have 2 4 gallon surge tanks over the top dumping 5 gallons apiece every 8 seconds....

Thanks in advance.. Scott..

What is the height of the tank? Is this a 36"x18"x30"? If you are looking for growth and color definately do 400W and either 14 or 20K. I have no experience with bulbs that wattage so can't recommend any.

If I'm not mistaken its 36lx18wx24h
i think he is saying that by height of tank so i would say it would be about the same deal only 4" shorter i would say 400 watt would be fine and you will get awesome growth out of it

I ran a 400W over a 58G for a couple of yrs. worked great.

I think its way overkill, and 250 would be fine..but 400 would wok.

The issue is the centerbrace though, makes running a single bulb tough

I think a single 175w mh would be sufficient....might be a bit less light on the sides but should be ok....400 is way overkill

Back