90 Gal The Beginning

mchartier

Non-member
Just picked up a 90 Gal Oceanic from another member and getting ready to acquire the rest of what is needed. Going to be setting up the sump and equipment in the basement (100gal). So I have this so far to do.

1.Raise canopy to accommodate the MH lights - 2 250W
2.Get basement plumbing - drain and water source
3.Electric outlets in basement
4.Install new bulkheads
5.Get skimmer looking at the PM Redline 225
6.Pick out return pump - kind of looking at the new reeflo blackfins - about
8-10ft head
7.Run plumbing to basement from tank. Excuse the mess in the garage

Here is a pic of the tank.
DSC_0061.jpg

Any recommendations or concerns will be greatly appreciated. I am looking to be mainly SPS and Zoas.

Nice looking tank.
The only thing I can think of is to make sure you get some fans in that canopy.

Def nice looking tank... +1 on fans in the canopy and remember to take it slooooooow :p

Yes I will have fans in it. I was thinking today that I may take the top of the canopy off and build a box that fits in, then put the top on the box that I built.
Currently I have Ushio 10K bulbs but might go to the 14K, if I do do you think I need supplemental lighting? If not I have two doors on the front and will place the two reflectors on individual sliders so I can pull them out to change the bulbs.

You don't need supplemental lighting.But a couple T-5s with actinic bulbs make for some nice florescence and a dusk/dawn effect.I'd even stick a few moon lights in there for night viewing.

I do have 4 blue moon light LED to add into the canopy. Here is what I am looking at for the canopy. I may add the T5 afterward depending on how everything looks

Canopy.jpg

Couple sugestions.
Check out the mark-40. I'm using one as a return on my 210 with about 12 ft head loss. still pushing around 750 gph at 140 watts. Returning water from the basement is expensive. Better to add in tank flow closed loop, power heads ect.http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...en=PROD&Product_Code=GEN-X&Category_Code=MAK4

I run 10k de Oshio's nice crisp white light, pretty good growth, but everything looks so much better with the actinic supplementation.

Depending on how bright your moon lights are, you might only need one or two. I'm running two on a 30" deep 210 and it's plenty of light.

nichols41 - thanks for the info on the pump, also the LEDs I have are the Current Luna Lights nocturnal blue.

Here is what I do have so far
2 - Reef Optix 3 (250W)
1 - Bluewave 7 Ballast
4 - Current Luna Light Modules
120lbs - Marco/fiji/tonga rock
200lbs - Caribsea Aragonite seaflor
Refractometer
Various - Test kits and additives

So what I am looking at getting:
1-RO system - still looking (have well water with larger filtration system)
1-PM Redline 225 Skimmer
1-Mark-40 pump - thanks Nichols41 for the info
2-Azoos Titanium Heaters (300W)
1- Hydor Basic 2-way wavemaker with 2 Koralia 3 powerheads
1- 75 or 100 gal Rubbermaid trough for sump

Ok so here is what I am thinking of for the sump. It will be a 75 or 100 gal trough. The overflow from the tank will go to a Y to split to the sump and the fuge. The line to the fuge will have a valve to control the flow. The fuge will be raised in the sump and overflow into the sump. The other overflow line will go to a bubble trap. The sump will have the remainder of the live rock that is not used in the main tank.
Sump.jpg

If it helps this is how my sump is setup.
P1010002.jpg

The wastebasket has slots cut all around most of the bubbles pop be fore leaving the wastebasket.

Ok so here is what I am thinking of for the sump. It will be a 75 or 100 gal trough. The overflow from the tank will go to a Y to split to the sump and the fuge. The line to the fuge will have a valve to control the flow. The fuge will be raised in the sump and overflow into the sump. The other overflow line will go to a bubble trap. The sump will have the remainder of the live rock that is not used in the main tank.
View attachment 46507

Sounds like a good plan.
I also have a Gen-X Mak 4 for my return pump like Bill.It's a workhorse but it tend to be a little loud,so the basement is perfect for it.;)
I have pretty much everything set up the way you are going to do yours.
I have a 70 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank for my sump and a 20L for the refugium.

Here's mine:
I now have a 20L refugium with a Spiral florescent 65 watt. spotlight over it.

Attachments

• 04-28-08_ref1.jpg
    04-28-08_ref1.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 357
This is how my fuges are setup. I have a 30 and a 55, both drain into the wastebasket. I have 2 returns, I split one to feed fuges and the other goes to the sump. The bubble trap over and under work very well. I get 0 bubbles in my display.
P1010007.jpg

P1010006.jpg

T
P1010006.jpg
hese are my return pumps. I've only been running one for the last couple years.

2 - Reef Optix 3 (250W)

Might want to consider cutting holes in the top of the canopy and mounting the lights to the top. That's how I have mine. Your canopy looks short enough to still have good light penetration and it cuts down a lot of the heat from the mh's.

I was going to take the top off the canopy and add the box section with the doors, and mount the Reef Optics on sliders, so i can slide them out to change bulbs. The top already has slats so there is a good amount of space for air flow thru the top. I was going to make the add on box about 8 inches high and have the support rails an 1-1.5 inches from the top of the add on box. I just prefer not having the lights mounted to the top.

I really appreciate all the feedback and recommendations.

Note I only have 1 drain on the tank that is why I have the split with the Y.
As for the sump. How do you think it would work out if I just let the fuge overflow into the sump. Trying to keep is simple. I look at it this way, less plumbing and less of a chance to have an overflow from back siphoning.

Last edited:
It's hard to get into the picture as the room is only like 6 ft. x 8 ft.
Here's a picture of where it comes through the floor and splits over to the refugium.This is when I first started plumbing stuff.
Y's are pretty hard to find at local hardware stores,I've only seen them at online stores.So I have a T that's positioned to allow some overflow water over to my fuge.

Attachments

• 03-19-08_CS.jpg
    03-19-08_CS.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 355
Back