90 Gal The Beginning

One thing to consider when going with basement sumps is heaters.
It's like 3 watts a gallon to make sure the water stays at the correct temperature without a lot of fluctuations.I cover my sump with ridged foam insulation during the winter months as well.
In the summer it's great,works just like a chiller having that water volume in the cool basement.

Yes I was looking at 2 300W heaters, thanks for the idea about the foam insulation for the winter. Our basement really does not change temp throughout the year but it is always better to be prepared.

Thanks. Well the Mark-40 was ordered and I picked up some plumbing supplies to add the drain and also water to where the sump will be.

Cool,I think you'll like that return pump.
Just make sure you put unions before and after the pump so If you have to do maintenance you can remove it easily.

All ready thinking about that. I was thinking unions between sump and pump. Then near the output of the pump. Also near the drain and return bulkheads at the tank, and also anywhere that I place a valve.

On my 90 with a similiar canopy, I made a frame that sits on the rim then built legs to hold the canopy 6" above the rim.I have a 5" space around the entire tank which makes working on/feeding the tank very easy.This also keeps it cooler, no fans needed yet. My pendants (lumenmax2) came with threaded eyebolts for hanging which I replaced with 6" bolts and wingnuts. I can lower/raise these pendants 6" which helps acclimation and finding the exact height for optimal light.
IMG_0930.jpg

Last edited:
Any one on here an electrician, I would rather have a pro do it and if someone is looking for some work let me know.

Plumbing Question

I am getting ready to start plumbing my basement sump. I have a drain pipe that I am going to tap into for desposal of water from a water change, I was looking at doing was putting a Y on the return with a ball valve that will go to the drain pipe. This way when I do water changes all I have to do is open the ball valve and out it goes. Does this sound ok? The other option would tee of the drain from the tank and do the same thing with the ball valve but I dont think that the slope of the pipe would be enough to keep water from staying in that section of the pipe.

Back