A Reintroduction

ReferReefer

Non-member
So about a year ago I was busy trying to keep my first Discus alive and my roommate convined me to purchase a used 75g setup from a reefer getting out.

We tried to hack it for a year, but between daily 30g water changes and work, I wasn't lending much of a hand to the salt water tanks and ultimately he decided the 75g wasn't the tank for him.

Fast forward to now, I've missed the corals in the house since then and I've cut back my Discus load to a single pair and got the itch to pick up a reef tank.

I purchased a 3g JBJ Picotope from Cory, and started stocking! Tank is now coming up on 6 weeks, taking it pretty slow to make sure parameters are in swing.

Also pictured is a top down on the Fuge I modded from an Aquaclear 70 (300GPH so it is cranked back quite a bit...)

Added benefit of the HOB fuge, is it increased my water volume by about 30%, which is good.

I've done a DIY air pump driven auto top off, I'll post that soon in the DIY section.

Enjoy, and hope to catch a meeting soon!

Regards,
Lee

CIMG0006.jpg

CIMG0008.jpg

IMG_0004.JPG

CIMG0013.jpg

It occurs to me of the ten or so photos i've taken over the last few days, not a singleone doesn't have a snail butt straight and center.

BOO

Regards,
Lee

Are thoes PHE zoas in the back?

Yup, picked them up from PVH last night... Luckily I didn't have more cash on me or I'd have knocked out the girlfriend, spent it all and then claim she got drunk and made a fool of herself prompting the restitution purchases! :)

Regards,
Lee

They are addictive. In my opinion the Auto-top off is the key. Mine cost me about $30 to do, and I only need to refill the resevoir once a week with RO water. Keeps my water level within a few MM, so even better than I could do manually!

I learned a few things with this pico, but the big plus is being able to buy "mother colonies" for cheap! :)

That is one sweet a** tiny tank! I've always wanted a 3 gal and one of these days I'll convince Kim to let me get one :D

I got come from him about 2 mo ago in the grab bag pick up....... the colony has prob doubled in size since then. They are awesome!

Yea,

Shh... don't tell Peter, but this morning I found two hitchhiker zoa's on the center of my blue Clove plug.. I don't know enough to ID them, but I'm going to try to frag them off before they get enveloped by the cloves...

Lee

That is one sweet a** tiny tank! I've always wanted a 3 gal and one of these days I'll convince Kim to let me get one :D

It is pretty awesome, but I was inspired by a few other picotopes, this one in particular..

fulltankshot.jpg

Not sure I'll ever make it that crazy, but his growth and scape balance were just breathtaking to me...

Regards,
Lee

not yet.. I've been finding myself hitting refresh a bit too often and wondering why people aren't selling massive amounts of coral, despite the limited space I have to stock this tank :)

Going to let these recent additions "stretch their legs" for a few weeks before I put more in, also interested to see how the birdsnest fairs, was a freebie from PVH, but has white growth tips all over!

Regards,
Lee

Back