Adding mangroves to a reef tank

maldenreefer

Non-member
I have just a 10g Nuvo Fusion but was curious about adding a few mangroves behind my rockwork or maybe in the rear sump. Do you all have any recommendations or more importantly warnings about using mangroves? Their nutrient export benefits seem to be minimal. I wanted to add them more as decoration and curiosity.

Thanks.

I believe they require deep substrate like mud or sand. The leaves need to be sprayed with fresh water every day and that’s al I know lol

I've kept mangroves in a sump for about a year now, started with 20 and have like 13 remaining. I floated them from styrofoam when they were propagules and let the roots hang.
I started dosing iron about 8 months in, because a few had died. Once I did that they grew much better, just have to be careful how much you might dose.
They probably would do better in a rooted system, I didn't want to worry about the roots potentially cracking the sump tho. I don't spray them nearly enough as I should, probably once a week.
Other than that just watch for falling leaves. The leaves will decay quickly and release all the exported nutrients back into your system.
They don't export as much nutrients as we wish they did, but they add a lot of vertical aesthetics. I just ordered some more for a 40 breeder I'm doing in a lagoon style.

Back