Adding Marcorocks

Briko03

Non-member
I just purchased about 25lbs of rock to add to my tank, I am curious as to whether I can add this rock without having to worry about any spikes or cycles? The tank is already heavily seeded with live rock and the new rock will just be an addition to the other rock.

Thanks.

Hm... I assume the newer Marco rock has less junk in the crevices than the old Marco rock did, but I would still operate under the assumption there will be at least some spike associated with it's introduction. If you have any livestock in the tank, I'd probably let it stew in a separate container. If you don't have any livestock yet (including any invert critters), then I'd just toss it in and wait for it to settle down.

I added about 25lbs of dry marco rock to a tank that was running less than a year and had no problems. no spikes, no anything.

It's prob hit or miss and it depends a lot on your tank so IMO no definitive answer is out there but IMO I would cycle it apart from the DT but I'm don't mind a little more work and time for extra added piece of mind in my tank...

Back