Adding more light

chew*

Murphy's Law
I decided to add more light instead of cutting out the center brace and using a larger reflector. Was thinking 2 x 250 DE's might be to much for a 65g 24 inch deep tank then I started thinking that theres alot of you out there with 180g tanks with 6 250 de's, divide that into 3 and you have 2 250de's per 60 gallons. So other than I may need to filter out some of the light with screens when for the first couple of weeks I think its going to be fine.

The first reflector i have is a full size reef optix. I opted to try out hello lights reflector that is smaller for use on the side that has the Megaflow overflow. No sense in throwing light into it to grow algae, in fact i plan on covering it. The full size reef optix will obviously go on the side that is more open water. I'm hoping to get faster and more even growth and less loss of color/tissue on the more tighter branching acros i like by implementing this much light.

To cut down on electric costs I've swapped to t-12 regular output 30 watt for actinic supplement. Now my only problem will be to actually be home when UPS comes. I missed them friday.

I would also guess that it would be safer if i raised the lights 2" as currently im running 8" from the bulb to the top of water.

Nate Hanson use to run 3 MH on his 65. I believe 250's on the outside and a 175 in the middle.

I'm guessing he did lower k outside, higher k middle. I'm just wary of cutting out the center brace :/ so i went with the t-12s to even out light distribution.

It's was a logical upgrade for me considering I will need at least 2 when i get the 140g I finally found :).

New light came today, although sort of cheesy ( what do you want for $40 ) the hello lights DE housing tosses quite a bit of light. Just tested for a few minutes with both lights on and whoa those that had seen my tank before and thought it was bright well It's really really bright now. Curious what par readings will be, Will test them thursday. Anyway i tossed some eggcrate in front of the light for now to acclimate the corals to the light.

I am definitely liking the color I get from the pheonix bulbs on the ARO electronic ballasts, not the overpowering blue like the icecaps. Its a crisp white with the slightest hint of blue.

Back