Adding more surface skim to a running frag tank

AnthonyP

Non-member
diagram.jpgHi guys,

I am working with a 40L frag tank here drilled on the bottom right corner 1" bulkhead with JUST a standpipe and a strainer at the water surface. I originally thought of building an internal overflow before I set it up but I had all these PVC fittings t fittings already and thought I could just daisy chain the T's and plop little strainers at the top to add more surface skim. It won't look great but it is in the basement sump/fish room and I really do not mind...What do you think see this awesome diagram I drew out!!!! JK! My diagram is awful!

Any help and or advise would be great.

Thanks,
Anthony[

Last edited:
Basically looking for info as I have a bunch of fittings and t's that are between 3/4" and 1" and also plenty of 1 1/2 " pvc...So If I do this should The drain pipe be 1 1/2" to allow the water from the multiple strainers and then taper in to the 1 inch drain? Does it even make a difference?

How about cutting a slot down a section of PVC pipe and then arranging that pipe so that it's running along the water's surface and then feeding into the standpipe?

I love that idea. The tank is 48" long...
How long could I go with it?...I think I will drill a ton of 1/4" holes super close in a line and then cut out the remaining PVC bits in between each hole with my hacksaw so that would leave a 1/4" slot...Does that sound OK?
It would be cool to go the entire length but not sure if that will cause strain on the bulkhead?
Thanks for the input

Just use a reducer from 3" to 1", the 3" will skimmer the top. I will take a pic if need be to explain it. Strainers won't surface skim perse

Last edited:
Pretty simple just us the reducer larger side up that sets your water height. You might need some additional reducers to get to 1 inch

Attachments

• DSC_4063.jpg
    DSC_4063.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 402
Couldn't get easier than that! I will consider that option as well. I do not plan on having any snails in this tank anyways so that should not be a problem.

FWIW you could also put a strainer in the 1" pipe inside the reducer. That way if you did end up having a snail or anything else that could plug up that hole, the strainer would prevent (or at least slow) the flood. The surface skim would be at the 3" part, so using the skimmer inside the reducer wouldn't hurt that much if at all.

i agree with johnK... the strainers are a great idea... speaking from experience and the darn turbo snails that used to climb into my drains when i used this standpipe approach, and cuased my tank to overflow... damn things lol... GL

Or if no snails, cunks of cheato, wads of cyano, dead fish, children's toys, drowned mice.... Mr. Murhpy's law has many faces :)

If worried about blockages put a screen in the reducer, where the full inside diameter turn into a funnel shape. Then make another stand and put a strainer on it just make it 3/4" higher than the reducer drain. The nice part about the reducer is the funnel like shape so adding a screen is easy, the screen is also fairly wide so a single snail even a turbo will not block it.

Mine was use to feed a skimmer and had dual intake one with a strainer on it.

The other thing that would work is to use an over flow box with a bulkhead in the bottom. Many of the hang on overflow boxes with u-tube hang on the side and could be converted in a few minutes. Or you could have one made if the drain is not located near the edge of the tank.

Last edited:
3 " reducer working awesome

This is a great improvement, there is not much skum at all at the surface anymore and with the powerheads properly aligned I can literally watch the film on the surface cirulate and spill into the reducer. This set-up cost $7 at Lowes. I found a strainer at lowes for $0.98... and I can say that this is a great improvement and thankyou for all of the info folks! Surface skim.jpg

Back