Ahh flat worms!!!

lilrodyreefer

Non-member
So I have flat worms. No more denial. So I've been looking into flat worm exit and I was wondering if any one has any natural ways of getting rid of these little guys? Any help would be much appreciated.

I think I might try another member of the wrasse family before I use the flatworm exit. Does anyone have any experience with any type of wrasse that was in a reef and ate flatworms?

Yea, I have had flatworms pretty bad now for around a month, I was hoping they would die off and go away, not the case...they havnt bothered anything but they do cover the sand and make it a tad bit reddish lol there are that many! I am afraid to kill them all off at once and create a spike

just regular flatworms right? i had the reg ones for a week or so then i got a melanurus wrasse http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+2285&pcatid=2285 he destroyed them in less then a week... still haven't seen any in almost 3yr later...

also FYI this wrasse will eat small inverts too.. hermits normally last in my tank but a tried a pistol shrimp once and he was bit in half before it hit the sand bed....

Last edited:
I think I might try another member of the wrasse family before I use the flatworm exit. Does anyone have any experience with any type of wrasse that was in a reef and ate flatworms?

I would do it sooner than later. The more the populate your tank. The more toxins they release when you try to kill them later.

Wrasses do work in some cases.

just regular flatworms right? i had the reg ones for a week or so then i got a melanurus wrasse http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+2285&pcatid=2285 he destroyed them in less then a week... still haven't seen any in almost 3yr later...

This. I have had one in every tank so far and love the fish. I do see her attach some snails now and then, mainly knock them off the glass or rocks and then hover over them. Have yet to see it eat one. I also have some cleaner shrimp which are not bother by her, but they are not small either. She is always on the look out for food inspecting all the rocks and corals, have even seen her go at the sand and spit sand back out.

they sleep under the sand so you would **need a sand bed or something like**.. mine goes down around 9pm or so.... i forgot to mention i have kept peppermint shrimp without issue but they were larger ones also...

I had them a few months back got some flat worm exit and followed the directions and added
one extra treatment as suggested by unique aquaria and have not seen any since. the stuff works great
not a single loss during treatment I think running carbon between doses is the key to doing it safely

I went to my lfs and got some flatworm exit and some new carbon. Gonna kill thoes little buggers tomorrow morning.... Wish me luck.. I'll post to show my results

I will be watching. I just siphon them out when it gets bad, but I am getting tired of the extra work. Good luck!

Basic red flatworms (planaria) are absolutely no big deal... Run flatworm exit directly in your system at 3 to 4 times the dose without running carbon or skimming, and problem solved... It may irritate corals for a few days, but no worries, red planaria are no big deal at all...

Back