AHH Need Algae Help

3mrhythm

Non-member
I've been wicked busy with work and such and a couple different algaes have run amuck... all the corals and fish are doing just fine its just the algaes are unsightly .. i would love if someone could id these and give me a heads up on removal tactics ... they arent taking over there are just a few spots that i would like to clean up ... i might need to go get a tang of sorts and let him go to work... the algaes are both brown .. the fan looking stuff was green when it first popped up .. but the other stuff is annoying .. and it looks like its base .. like where it starts to grow is like a dark brown and its pretty thick..it pulls off the rocks but the brown stuff is very fragile and feels like mucus..

my setup

90 gallon reef

660 watts of vho 2 atinic blue 2 atinic white and 2 aqua sun 10k

kent nautilis skimmer (i need a better one got this for free from the kent rep)

30 gallon sump .. about 12 gallon of it is refugium .. with chaeto algae and some different varieties of caulerpa .. and some .. thats lighted with a 30 watt NO bulb .. plants grow great and there are pods galore.. every thing is doing swell .. i have coraline growing on my glass and on some of the rocks

my salinity is 1.022 and

i use b-ionic calcium 2 part and sometimes kent turbo cal when needed .. i have 5 clams so i try to keep the cal up there for em .. and i have like 15 different sps ...

so if anyone can help i would appreciate it!

Thanks!

pics : http://gallery46416.fotopic.net/c198728.html
(i was cleaning the tank when i took these pics)

ps i have halmidea growing like a weed too at the bottom of the tank...

Last edited:
There's this real Smart Guy who wrote a book about "Coral Propagation" (that's the title). Fellow by the name of Anthony Calfo.
He covers -everything- at least a little, and references other smart people for follow up. I would strongly recommend his book to anyone (as it was done to me). Just holding it makes me feel smarter.

I'm gonna move this thread out of the "for sale" area and into the general disussion area. If' that's wrong, lemme know and I'll move it back.

im through the crap algae thingy .. i bought a nice orange shoulder tang who is doing a great job and ten orange/purple fiddler crabs who have been qite busy ... i dont have anymore of the long stuff and the base of the algae is slowly diminishing ... whoo hoo

Glad to hear things are settling down.
How old is your tank and how old are your bulbs? I am going through a little algea problem also at this time, my tank is about 9 months old and I have been slacking on my water changes

heh heh i did my second water change last week ... i've had the tank "in place" since sept the inhabitants are anywheres from 3months to 7-8 years old .. (well old meaning in the time i've owned them.. i've moved since i set it up) i have 660 watts of vho the bulbs were purchased in sept been running 12-13hours a day since then ... i since changed two out cause i blew one .. im hoping to sell some frags so i can get all new bubls ... the ones i replaced i replaced with coralife vho and the stink in comparison to the uri super atinics ...

i think it might be the bulbs .. but everything seems happy and i should get another couple months out of the bulbs ...hopefully i will get the money to spend on em sooner

Back