Algae turf scrubber

reefkeeper2

BRS Member
For over a year now I have been using biopellets to manage nitrates and phosphates in my system. It has worked well, particularly with nitrates and has controlled phosphates enough for me to discontinue using GFO. Still, annoying algae problems are not completely gone. I would also like to increase my fish population and feed the tank more. So I have been reading with interest this thread http://http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1977420 on RC.
Last month I decided to build one of these myself and see what happens. It was inexpensive and easy. I followed the instructions on the thread except I used LEDs instead of the flourescent bulbs. I got a great deal at Costco for the LEDs. Par 38 bulbs in the exact kelvin range required for $21.00 each! So the pic below is what I got after I finished my build with a good few days of growth on the screen. You scrape the screen once each week.

It has been in operation now for 4 weeks. Each week the algae growth increases, and I am amazed at how much I am scraping off the screen. It really competes with the algae in the display and I am seeing reductions in micro algae on the acrylic. I do not think that this will replace any of my other water management methods like the biopellets or the skimmer, but it appears to be an excellent addition. I know there are others who use this exclusively for nutrient export. I have increased my daily feeding to 9 cubes of mysis, 1/2 sheet of nori and at least one feeding of commercial dry pellet food. So far I think ATS is a very useful tool for us to use for our reefs.

Attachments

• mini-IMG_3015_2.JPG
    mini-IMG_3015_2.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 6,008
Interesting. I have seen this discussed before on rc but never tried it. I always heard people say they would not export much. It will be interesting to follow along and see what it does for you. Good luck and keep us posted on results.

With the size of your tank and the bioload this has got to be a much more cost effective solution to GFO for you assuming it continues to work. Tagging along, I'm curious what your feedback is over time.

From all the research I've done on ATS they seem to be a great bang for your buck kind of nutrient export. I really wanted to do one on my 55 when I still had it but just didn't have the room under the stand... Can't beat the price either :D

But leave it to Paul to make them expensive with those $21 lights :p

I do like the idea of using the flourescent over LED's because it just seems IMO/IME problem algae (which essentially ATS algae is you're just providing it with a more sutiable growing space) just grows better under flourescent lighting. Especially when the flourescent bulbs usable lifespan (in terms of usable for reef tank) is over. I could always tell when it was time to replace my T5's when the algae started growing in the tank :rolleyes:

I thought the same about the florescent lights until I read that you have to replace them every three or four months. I thought old lights would work fine growing algae but according to the thread they don't. So the replacement cost and the electric savings made the LEDs a better buy. In the long term anyway. I tend to think long term:D

The scrubber is working great. I scrape off a dinner plate load of algae every week. I can only go seven days without scraping the screen before the algae starts falling off on its own. Anyone going to the meeting Sunday is welcome to come take a look.

This idea has interested me since i seen one of these threads on RC, i will be curious to see how much nutrient export is actually achieved as well as how much extra evaporation occurs using this method.

It was the thread on RC that got me started. I toyed with the idea for quite a while and then I finally went and did it. I am pleasantly surprised with the results. I havn't noticed any difference in evaporation, but my system is automated and very large so I probably wouldn't. What I have noticed is cleaner sand and less algae on the acrylic. The pH is higher at night. I can also feed a lot more. I have even started feeding the corals and nephthea some freeze dried rotifers. So I can say the experiment has been a sucess and I will continue to run the scrubber.

Back