Skimmer and/or Algae turf scrubber?

badlands25

Non-member
So as I plan my 93 cube setup I am throwing around the idea of doing an ATS. I'd like to hear from those of you that are currently running one, or that have had one in the past. Would I also run a skimmer? Wondering if I made a sump and had the ATS for the first chamber then baffles then skimmer more baffles ( media bag/carbon) or foam then return pump chamber? Thanks for any input

I had an ATS going for a while. it worked well considering the super heavy bio load I had at the time. I was running a skimmer as well. The maintenance is key for success, keeping the screen clean every 7 days and keeping up with light bulb replacement if your running CFL's. ATS work well, just another thing that requires attention/maintenance. A good skimmer and nutrient control will avoid the need for the nutrient exporting power of a scrubber and the attention it needs.

It's always best to use multiple methods. The reason is simple. If one method fails, the other picks up the slack. If your skimmer pump dies, the scrubber saves you. If your scrubber pump dies, your skimmer saves you. They also compliment each other where one method might be a little better at removing something than the other and vice versa. The hair algae in my display all but disappeared after I added a scrubber.
That being said, the major problem with this hobby is burn out because of maintenance and constant care. I call it tank fatigue. You can't put your tank in the garage for a few weeks like your golf clubs or mountain bike when you need a break from it. Skimmers need to be cleaned. Scrubbers need to be scraped. Pellets need to be replaced and it never stops. You have to keep in mind what your willing give in time each week when you set up your equipment.

Back