Algae Turf Scrubber?

Bobbofin

Non-member
I came across a couple of articles about this form of filtration. I found many articles about them on RC and other places. They are quite cheap to make. I have some algae issues here and there. DIY is quite cheap (under $50 for a 10x10" screen), it looks effective and easy to remove the screen and clean weekly.
I have a few questions:
  • Can I run it along with my skimmer?
  • Is there any negative side effects?
  • Does anyone currently run one to get nutrients low and control algae?

Last edited:
#1 In my build that I'm doing I'm going to run it with my skimmer
#2 not that I know of
#3 reefkeeper2 is running one and pat just finished setting his up today, however pat has ran one in the past

You should look into the updated screen sizing on the big ATS thread over at reefcentral.... Only reason I say that is 10"x10" is large, meaning they are really based at this point on how much you feed and for 10x10 you should be feeding like 13 cubes a day equivalent with the proper light and flow through the screen.

You should look into the updated screen sizing on the big ATS thread over at reefcentral.... Only reason I say that is 10"x10" is large, meaning they are really based at this point on how much you feed and for 10x10 you should be feeding like 13 cubes a day equivalent with the proper light and flow through the screen.

I planned on using a 8x8 screen on mine @ 250gph, ditch my filter sock and use my overflow to feed it. Does a simple vertical tube with a 1/8" slit work fine or do I need to get fancy and build a box around it? If I put the edge of the screen all the way down to the water will there be any splashing? I plan on using two 23w 2700k CFL bulbs in clip on, bell reflector fixtures.

Pat, can I ask some questions:
  • From your experience what size screen should I use for my 60 cube?
  • Do I need to light both sides? Be much easier to fit if only have to light one side.
  • Any problems with yellow or green water or problems with coral or fish?

Last edited:
Not that big is a bad thing, just one of the scenarios that you can do more with less; the biggest reason I re-designed rather quickly. I am lighting my 4x6" screen with about 70+ watts of led; its small footprint and higher power will hopefully benefit my small but high nutrient system, and allow my SPS that I am trying so hard to grow AND look good at the same time to happen sucessfully. It's now a matter of the test of time.

Here's quick cliff notes I had saved from the "updated design":
1 frozen cube equivalent per day should equal 12"sq of mesh
You are looking to achieve about 35 GPH per inch of screen WIDTH (slot length)
And as far as lighting, about 2w per sq inch is close to "optimal" for growth. This is also a function of time illuminated too, so I am at 36sq" of screen, 72w of led lighting, at 8 hours to start and see how it goes. 18 hours of lighting isn't unusual. I am interested in energy savings too though, so less is more in that regard also.

Also a partially submerged screen does prevent most splashing, and noise. I am feeding from a pump, so I wouldn't be able to make any suggestions on feeding from the drain (s). Yes on the skimmer also. They should work happily together and compliment each other well.

Back