Alk Rising

Drichards

BRS Member
How could alk be rising in a tank that isn't being dosed? I do my water changes weekly and mix to 9 Dkh. I test the tank water and I'm getting 10.2's

Pretty much what I was getting at was if your ato stops working, the only thing that evaporates out is h2o and alk could creep up from that.

Ive read lowering nitrate can result in increased alk, although can’t remember off the top of my head the mechanism for it. The other that pops up is checking your salinity/calibration - higher salinity might not be being picked up, but the kit to measure all might be.

Lowering nitrate would increase alk because the bacteria consumes alk as well as nitrate, so if you are dosing alk and reduce nitrate the alk will go up not from the reduction itself but lack of consumption. In this case it doesn’t work since he’s not dosing anything. By the way what’s your ph at? Low enough ph will break down aragonite sand.

Are you certain your make up water @9dkh is at full SG / the same SG as the old water @10.2dkh?

You’re not dosing anything, at all? Some companies have products to increase pH that claim not to affect alkalinity, but they absolutely do

You’re not dosing anything, at all? Some companies have products to increase pH that claim not to affect alkalinity, but they absolutely do
No, it's a new tank. Four or five months old. One torch and two long fins in it. I've seen weird things happen before when dosing vibrant to a separate system but this one has been dosed with nothing. No aminos, nada. It's thriving with pods and Coraline is just starting to grow. I should see it drop soon due to the Coraline. Just perplexed by this? Using my Hannah ALK test that I use on my other three systems and everything checks out

I have the same thing going with my tank about the same age. It’s been about the same alk level for a month haven’t dosed anything if anything my alk has increased as well and I have a lot of corals. I was battling some uglies and they are coming to an end by the looks of it and my alk consumption has stopped. Things to note I switched to full ac not opening windows so drop in ph also I’m struggling with low nitrates around 2ppm and phos barely detectable. But all corals are happy thriving growing I just look at it as saving money for the time being lol.

My suspicion is on the test kit.
For example, a titration test kit such as salifert or red sea, when the titration fluid is contaminated, it could take more fluid to reach the point where there is a color change, hence the Alk reading is higher. For a hanna tester, all bets can be off…

My suspicion is on the test kit.
For example, a titration test kit such as salifert or red sea, when the titration fluid is contaminated, it could take more fluid to reach the point where there is a color change, hence the Alk reading is higher. For a hanna tester, all bets can be off…
I was hoping you were right, I had a brand new Salifert test kit on the shelf so compared against the remainder of the open kit I have. However they are coming back just about the same maybe .1dkh different. I have not dosed any alk since the 25th of June and have only done one water change since which was mixed to my “target” 9.3dkh. I have had no consumption just seems to rise ca is 470 and mg 1380 nitrates 2ppm and phos barely detectable with a Salifert kit. I’ve read low nutrients can sometimes play a role thoughts on that?

Or All-for-reef from tropic marin a while back?
No I dosed with Red Sea foundation abc for ca alk and mg. I do use Red Sea ab+ coral food daily but not sure that would do anything like that. Randomly do a diy coral snow floculant for some extra water clarity again don’t think that does anything like that either.

Back