Alk Stability, or not?

Drichards

BRS Member
Some weeks my alk sticks to my target Dkh of 9, other weeks not so much. I find myself constantly tuning my doser. Just when I think I've mapped it out again, it fluctuates a dkh up or done throughout the week. Im aware that adding coral/loosing coral will affect levels also coraline but I'm obsessed with a 9 dkh! Are any other community members adjusting there doser on the regular? Does anyone struggle with everything being perfect all the time?

- Alkalinity Anonymous

Yeah, I find I'm always adjusting a little bit and often I can't see what has changed to require it. But I mostly try to keep it within a 1 point range. high 7 to high 8 and that's fine. I personally don't see anything negative from gradual swings in alk. In fact, I had a dosing pump failure when it went down to 5 for a few days and saw no negative consequences (not that I'd recommend running the experiment...)

The co2 levels in your place also have a big effect on alk consumption ( my biggest problem )
I do have a alkatronic and run kalk but run the kalk barely covering consumption. When it gets low the alkatronic doses some corrections and I tune up the kalk a little. Stability is a big factor not so much the number but you already know this.

I can't wait until I have a tank that is large enough to justify automated alkalinity monitoring and dosing. It's certainly one of the parameters that makes a big difference in terms of your tank being stable and taking off.

Funny thing about that is the smaller the tank the more it fluctuates lol
I know I just don't have the space for the added equipment on my kitchen counter or in my bedroom (where my tanks are located)!

I'm in the planning phase for my dream tank build but it's likely at least two years out. Gotta finish my postdoc and buy a house first!

Back