Alternative to quick connect fittings 1/4" tubing - RODI

thomb

thomb
Ok, I'm done with these things!

I never have found them all that quick when disconnecting (I guess I am a weakling), and I've had too many leaks. I just love mopping up water at 1 am like this morning :mad:
But at the large orange store, I've not seen much in the way of alternatives for valves etc. Thoughts?

Admittedly I have needed to disconnect them more than normal given I'm running an under construction / temporary system. But still I want threads man!

I've personally never had a problem with them, but are these for fresh or for salt water applications? Also, are you using them on the correct plastic (polyethylene) tubing?

Matt:cool:

You can use compression fittings if you don't like the JGs. That said, I'm surprised you're having trouble with the JG fittings, they've always worked well for me.

When you got to seperate them, do you know to press the inner collar into the fitting itself before pulling on the tube? It doesn't feel like anything moves, but that's how they release (if by some chance you didn't already know :) )

Just for RODI - no salt.
It is the standard plastic tubing - the standard white that comes with an RODI, and lengths of the clear (ice maker tubing).

Home depot carries Watts - not true John Guest, they connect easy enough, but disconnecting using the method you describe is kinda hit or miss - with the collar held against the fitting, it more often than not is still grabbing the tubing quite aggressively.

Maybe I should upgrade the fittings?

Ice maker tubing from HD is a little fatter, and more difficult from what I have found.

Yes the white (translucent) or colored tubing which is stiffer plastic not vinyl is a tiny bit thinner on the od which makes it a tiny bit leaky sometimes. It must be cut perfectly flat and even that is not failsafe. Try to always get vinyl.

Also,keep in mind that an open end wrench with an I.D. a little over the hose size make a great tool to help disconnect the line from the fitting.
We use quick connect line all the time in Engineering/Pneumatics. It's called Legris fittings.
That stuff stays air tight at 120 PSI.

Also,keep in mind that an open end wrench with an I.D. a little over the hose size make a great tool to help disconnect the line from the fitting.
We use quick connect line all the time in Engineering/Pneumatics. It's called Legris fittings.
That stuff stays air tight at 120 PSI.
Good idea. I usually just yell at them for a few minutes. That hasn't seemed to work lol

Back