alternative to aqua lifter for ato

JTM4UG

REEFER
BRS Member
The aqua lifter isn't strong enough to go from inside my bc29 stand to the tank. What would be a low cost alternative or is there a way to increase the height the AL can do?

How high are you lifting the water and are you able to move the pump closer to the tank where it's being pumped into?

Remote pump from litermeter, it may not the cheapest but it'll last.

+1. I've always suggested this for ATO remote pump. It can push water up to 25feet without a problem. I have my ATO water storage in the basement and push up to the first floor. No issue with head pressure and no concern of RODI eating through the plastics of the pump.

Ratings on brs 50 doser always scared me off. I have solved the exact same problem by putting two lifters in series. Not the best solution but has been reliable for me for 3 years.

I'm lifting the water no more than 4 ft. Think I'll give a second pump a try. Think I have another lying around

I have and use both the Litermeter and BRS 50ml pumps. The BRS pumps worked fine for awhile pumping water from the basement to the first floor but would always eventually fail, even with constant maintenance. I think the head pressure was too much to handle.

Since going through a few BRS pumps, I switched up the Litermeter for my display tank upstairs and the BRS pump for my frag tank downstairs and things have definitely worked out better.

Greg hiller has a bunch of lab peristaltic pumps ( the same class as both the ones mentioned) you could contact him for a price.

I bought one 4 years ago and it has been running every couple minutes consistently since I bought it with no failures.

The aqua lifter isn't strong enough to go from inside my bc29 stand to the tank. What would be a low cost alternative or is there a way to increase the height the AL can do?

Hey guys....... the OP only want to lift the water from the stand to the tank, not from the basement !!!!!

I have been using my BRS 50 ml/min pump to do exactly that and was GREAT, at least for the last year (only 1 year using it). Same with my dosing 1.1 ml/pumps for Alk and Ca. Could be that from the basement to the 1st floor the BRS pump it is not the best one. But for a short distant is VERY RELIABLE and not so expensive. I am using it in my 14G Biocube with a JBJ ATO. The aqualifter only can lift water 30".

I tested last week my dosing pumps and after a YEAR, they had the same 1,4 ml/min rate.

Last edited:
Why not a plain old maxi jet 1200?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a more expansive option but will last you for years, use a Eheim 1046

+1. I've always suggested this for ATO remote pump. It can push water up to 25feet without a problem. I have my ATO water storage in the basement and push up to the first floor. No issue with head pressure and no concern of RODI eating through the plastics of the pump.

If you use the liter meter remote pump, how do you connect it without the head unit?

Why not a plain old maxi jet 1200?

Because of the volume of water per minute. The 2 ATOs I have used (tunze nano and JBJ) have security features if the floating sensors fails. The Tunze Nano, with his own pump, will continue pumping for 1 1/2 minutes, if my memory is correct. That will pump 1G of water. Depending of the tank size it can be a big issue. The JBJ will continue pumping for almost 4 minutes until it stops, if the sensor fail. Depending on the pump you use with the JBJ and your tank size it can be an issue.

The Nano Tunze didn't work for me in my 14G. One day dosed 1G , as mentioned, and took me a week to return the salinity levels to normal. The JBJ with the BRS pump is working. Because the BRS pump, if the JBJ sensor fails, it will dose 50 ml × 4 minutes = 200 ml before it stop.

If your tank is bigger you can increase the security time in the JBJ or.....increase the pump size

If you use the liter meter remote pump, how do you connect it without the head unit?

Derik,
I use my Profilux ATO sensors to sense the water level in the sump. When the water level is not where the sensor is, the sensor ping the controller to request a water fill. The controller just turn on the outlet which the pump is connected to. The spectre remote pump is just a mean of getting water into the tank.

I've used an Aqualifter pumps for years without issue for RODI top off water four feet from stand to tank. Are you sure one of the lines isn't kinked? Question: Are you running kalk of any other additives in the water? If so, it says right on the packaging that it can clog if doing so. Is the Aqaulifter pump level? I found that if I mounted the aqualifter pump on the back wall of the stand it would not work very well. Seems weird to me but what do I know.

Last edited:
Back