Another One Bites The Dust

madducks42

Resident Nihilist
BRS Member
Our fish killing streak continues, lost the kole tang we got a few weeks ago to ick. It's been looking pretty bad the last few days and we found it dead this morning. Clownfish are fine, ever since they survived the initial ick infection they haven't gotten it since. Or at least it hasn't been noticeable. The little tiny mandarin seems to be doing fine, they're ick resistant anyway so I was more concerned about food supply than the little dude getting ick. But it just floats around on the rocks and is growing so it's clearly getting enough to eat. The only other new fish we have is a small blue hippo tang, it also has ick but doesn't seem to have it as bad as the kole tang did. I'm giving the PolypLab Medic stuff a try to see if it helps at all. Otherwise I'm just continuing my somewhat heavy feeding schedule and hoping the remaining tang survives.

On the plus side 95% of our coral are doing awesome. Maybe we'll just have a 90 gallon tank full of coral with a pair of clownfish, lol.

Feel your pain, came home from work last night to find my diamond goby had carpet surfed, finding the only small opening I have. Too late to save him, was already stiff. Loved that guy

What is your QT process before adding fish to the display tank? As you only have a few small fish now... it might make sense to let your DT go fallow and do Tank Transfer to remove the ich from your DT and fish now? Then you can be sure your DT is ich free for the long run?

What is your QT process before adding fish to the display tank? As you only have a few small fish now... it might make sense to let your DT go fallow and do Tank Transfer to remove the ich from your DT and fish now? Then you can be sure your DT is ich free for the long run?

Didn’t quarantine these guys. We know we already have ich in the tank so even if we did the TTM or copper treatment they could still get ich as soon as we put them in the DT. We have a mandarin and yellow watchman goby in the tank, there’s no way we’d catch either without tearing down the entire tank. We don’t have much interest in tearing down the tank so going fallow isn’t an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try a fish trap to catch them. Fallow is the only way to get it from the dt.

Tried that, didn’t work. Did manage to stress the fish out for 3 weeks though. We’ve accepted our fate of going the “ich management” route and will probably avoid tangs in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adding tangs can be tricky at times, some get stressed out very easily making them very suceptable to disease.
Running a UV sterilizer will help maintain controllable ich levels.
Diet is really key to boosting immune systems. Offering a variety of food options like flakes, frozen foods like mysis or brine, nori sheets and also presoaking the food in a supplement like VitaChem will keep your fish healthy.

Adding tangs can be tricky at times, some get stressed out very easily making them very suceptable to disease.
Running a UV sterilizer will help maintain controllable ich levels.
Diet is really key to boosting immune systems. Offering a variety of food options like flakes, frozen foods like mysis or brine, nori sheets and also presoaking the food in a supplement like VitaChem will keep your fish healthy.

We've considered getting a UV sterilizer, unfortunately we don't have a lot of space where the tank is located. It's in living room and the sump/cabinet space isn't that big and it's already packed full of stuff. I do feed a variety of foods though. I basically have 4 different types of frozen foods that I rotate through, I also supplement with some pellet food, and there is always nori in the tank. The clownfish survived the first outbreak of ich (about 8 months ago) and they've never gotten it since. At least it hasn't been visible on them or impacted them in anyway. The watchman goby has never showed any signs of it nor has the mandarin but I know they're ick resistant anyway. I think the blue hippo tang will make it, it's still eating well and is starting to look better in general. I'm hoping that with a good feeding regimen it will do well and we'll just wait a couple months before adding any other fish to the tank to avoid stressing the little guy out.

Back