Any issue with plate coral sitting on rocks?

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
My tank is bare bottom, no sand at all. Is there issues for a plate coral sitting on rocks?
thanks

Actually I had a rather large fungia year back.And what eventually was it downfall was getting partially buried in the sand.
That caused one side to get what could have been a bacterial infection or just simply rtn.
So I would say a plate coral sitting on rocks would be fine.

I have one just sitting on the bare bottom, and it seems to be doing O.K. I can't see any reason why it needs to be in the sand.

When they inflate the rocks can cut them and cause damage to the coral. It is generally recommended not to place plate corals on rocks.

No sand is fine i have had mine on sand and barebottom but rocks run the risk of snagging the inflated tissue.

i had mine in the sand since there was no room on my lr.
sometimes my worms (sand filters) move sand on top and if I don't see it 'till too late it kills off some tissue.
I have also only seen them on sand bebs but probably more due to lfs placement for sale than anything else/
I'think you'd be better off on a firm but level surface so you can hand feed and it won't roll out

Thanks for all the suggestions, I put it on a solid piece of smooth rock with the rock supporting the bottom where there is no tissue. It looks fully inflated and all tenticles are out. I have not keep a plate in many years. What do you guys feed your plates? Thanks

Actually I had a rather large fungia year back.And what eventually was it downfall was getting partially buried in the sand.
That caused one side to get what could have been a bacterial infection or just simply rtn.
So I would say a plate coral sitting on rocks would be fine.

Plate coral, even though they look similar, can refer to a number of very difference species. In Nature, many do live on rocks and the same or other species may also live sand. If it's a plate coral that's adapted to living in the sand, it should be able to dig itself out if they covered in sand. Although, I believe they may need some rock rubble mixed in the sand to help them get a footing. None as far as I know come from areas with fine-sand. Others claim that they may shift and fall off rocks, in our systems and therefore should be placed on the sand. I think it depends on the specific species though, in reality. It may be tough to tell, but at a rough guesstimate though, I believe that the flatter species, tend to do better on the sand.

Back