Anybody use a rio hyperflo pump?

dr.steve

Non-member
Was wondering if anyone had experience with the Rio? Hyper Flow?
Professional-Grade Water Pump, considering the hf32, largest one for my return pump from my sump since i need about 1200gph at 6' of head? any thoughts
thanks
steve

not very reliable for restarts when the power goes out.
its a rio, thats expected.
other than that they are great.

I used one, what scott said is true though I didn't have any problems for about 5mths...I think if you clean it often you will be fine...

For the power / output you get for them they are great! Do you self a favor though, get an airstone on battery backup just incase it doesnt restart... again this only become a problem for me after many months of use and I didnt clean mine enough.

Im currently using a HF16 for my topoff system to run water up 8' to the drain and I haven't had any trouble with it.

Thanks for the replies. What in sump pump would you recommend for a roughly 1200gph return with 5-6' of head? What if I went with a out of sump pump? genx-100?poseidon p4? any suggestions?
steve

For in-sump, you could go with a Mag18, they're relatively inexpensive and work ok when submerged.

FWIW, the T4 (which I have) will not provide 1200gph at 6ft of head.

Nuno

i was looking for alternatives to the mag series,supposedly when they get over a 7 or so they become very energy inefficient and create alot of heat. perhaps two mag 7's or two mag somethings each with their own return,no tee,redundancy or clogs or failures may be the way to go? Still exploring external pumps, really like some feedback on the genx series, etc. thanks
steve

No one will agree with this besides me...but a via aqua powerhead the big one are very efficient and will run that much gallonage at that pressure...

They have a bad rap but I haven't had any trouble with mine. I clean it every other week though. Oh and did I mention they are like 50.00

For external, me and a friend of mine have had good experiences with Quiet One pumps. Pretty efficient, definitely gave a lot of flow.

genX are good pumps but the fan coolings a bit loud for under tank use definately best for a basement sump.

sequence dart are my choice for a pump. after the plumbing and elbows chances are you'll be closer to 8ft of head.
quiet like a T4, no heat, clear housing, and the wattage and reliability is amazing
best pumps i ever bought.
dartcurve.jpg

another pump i have had success with is blueline (panworld)

the pressure rated pumps are pricy and high wattage :(

pw150ps.jpg

I used a hyperflow 20 for a return pump for a year and never had a problem with it restarting but I did have one for a closed loop that just stopped one day and I had to clean the crap out of it to get it going again but I never cleaned it. I also have been running one since sept of last year and have not had a problem (HF 32)

Steve,
For an internal in that flow range look at Eheim. If your tempted to go with a brand like Rio or Via aqua at I'd strongly suggest using two @ 600 instead. Just so that you have a back up when one fails.
Have you considered external? If so there are some other options.

Wow, everyone has their favorite! Guess i just have to find mine.
Scott, i really wanted to go with the dart but thought it was too powerful. it seems that even with 8" of head it still puts out ij the range1800gph, how much can you slow them downwithout damage or energy effeciency loss or heat build-up? and what effect if i tee the 1.5' return into two 3/4 returns?
does the 90 degree elbow of the sump to pump to tank count as a foot of head?
thanks everyone for your great advice
steve

i run a rio hf17. my inlaws run the blue line. the blue lines seem a little noisy i also had a via aqua and it was also noisy

Put a T with a valve on it and dump it back into the sump if it is to much flow and that way you can adjust the flow

Back