Anyone successfully used this method of thawing Mysis?

I just put it in a cup, add vita chem/garlic and whatever else, and let it thaw at room temp. I've never looked at it through a microscope, but the composition doesn't change as far as my eyes can see......

I do pretty much the same Reefermedic,except more extreme. I put them in a little tupperware container that I keep around just for this purpose (got it with a frag from dawn) and I put a little water in, throw the mysis in, and sit it on top of my 250HQI pendant until I remember that its there. Doesnt seem to decompose any from what I've seen.

what exactly didn't work..the shrimp didn't thaw enough?

i put them on a plate dose with garlic/Zoa or selcon and either room thaw or if in a rush, toss on top of MH light fixture ..:D

The purpose of the method is to avoid having the mysis tear / fall apart / lose internal "juice" (not my words :D) and polluting the water.

It didn't work for me because the water in the container was as cloudy as if I had just thawed in room temperature using tank water.

that would avoid polluting the water but you still lose the mysis mojo :D making it less nutritional

hmm..i'll have to double check what the water looks like when the critters enter .. the shrimp gets eaten up very quickly. i do not think even with the addition of garlic and vit that there is much precipitation that results.

i believe it's San Fransisco Bay

Last edited:
seems like a PITA,i would say it would be much more beneficial to thaw them howevever you like(i don't think on top of your halides is a good idea though:eek: ) then soak them in selcon,amino's or whatever.The soaking would be more beneficial than any improvement in thawing methods

i add the additives directly to the frozen food..it then thaws all together...

yeah,,the halides increase the thaw time to 1m....

I put the frozen cube in a metal cup.
I get a bigger bowl, and fill that bowl with very hot water.
Then I float the metal cup in the bowl, and the cube melts.
I drain the liquid.
I then add drops of vitamins and garlic.
Then I feed a bit to the tank.
I put a baggie over the leftovers in the cup, and put that in the refrigerator for feedings over the next 3 days.
Rinse, lather, repeat.

I dump my mysis into a cup of tankwater and let it sit for 15-20 minutes, then in at goes slowely making sure all the mysis gets eaten.

Man some of you guys take it to the extreme.How do you people feed your dogs & cats :p

Armando said:
Fill up bowl with dry food. Wait until bowl is empty. Repeat. :D

Are you sure you don't rinse the food in ro/di water 1st, or put the food in a colinder to remove the dust particles :D

PS you avatar is making me NAUSEOUS

I usually just throw in a frozen cube and let my puffer rip it apart. The other fish get what falls off, he gets a good meal and his teeth have never needed to be clipped.

WOW is this a class on how to make simple things difficult. ;) I just take a chunk off and slowly rub it between my fingers in the tank. The shrimp separate slowly and the fish eat it. Also doing it this way some of the fish and cleaner shrimp come up and eat it out of my hand, which I also find fun.:)

garlic and vitamins

ReeferMedic said:
I just put it in a cup, add vita chem/garlic and whatever else, and let it thaw at room temp. I've never looked at it through a microscope, but the composition doesn't change as far as my eyes can see......

What kind of garlic do you use and why do you use it?

Also what kind of vitamins?

Thanks

Back