Aquarium maintenance company recos

Chlorinated

Non-member
Hi everyone,

Having some tank issues. Tank has been stable for well over a year and corals growing well. About 3 months ago i lost 6 corals, a couple sps, some lps as well. The only thing i canged in my tank at the time was i put in a regenerated pack of Purigen. Had never done it before, but took extra precautions to ensure all bleach was removed prior to adding to the tank. When stuff started going down hill, i went and got my water tested by Dong at AcroGarden. He told me that i had high Mag (>1600). He mentiond that high mag mixed with the fact that i prpbably added a small amount of bleach to my system caused the issues.

I perfomed 6 5gal waterchanges over the next 2 weeks and things began to look better and grow again. Well, about 2 weeks ago it started happeneing again. Only using fresh Purigen, no changes made to the tank and weekly 5 gal waterchanges. Forgot to mention, this is an IM 20 so 15-16qlal total water volume. I have been testing, and all parameters are in check:

Sal: 1.026
PH: 8.2
Cal: 440
Alk: 8.3
Mag:1200 (havnt doesed in 3 months)
Amm,nitrite: 0
Nitrate: almost undetected

I am at a loss here, and dont know where to go from here. My thought was to have someone come in, do mantainance and see what their oppinion was on the matter.

So, my question is. What are your thoughts, and who in the area do you trust to come in and work on your tank?

This is a great forum, qnd thank you everyone for your help!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Have you always used Purigen? Also last time when you has casualties, what went first? Lps or sps?

If you don't typically run Purigen, but throw it in once in a while, I'd say maybe a shock from varying level of nutrients. I'd assume LPS would show distress signs first if that were the case.

When corals start getting distressed / dying, they release toxins that start the spiral effect and make other corals unhappy etc.

If you have not changed anything at all whatsoever, any chance someone might be spraying something in the room or outside the open window that is close go your tank that might be messing with the water?

Regarding maintenance companies, try Yorgos at Love The Reef. He runs Imagine an Ocean.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies guys! I have run ourigen consistently for several years, it was the the first time i tried following seachems instructions on how to regen. Tried to save a few bucks. When that first crash happened, i took out the regened bag and out in a brand new one.

Like i said, stuff looked better after all the waterchanges, but 2 weeks ago stuff started going south again. First my spongeode thats been growing like a beast for over a year, now 90%gone, acand all closed, frogspawn closed, wellso ive had for 2 years thats been solid through everything hs been loosing color. Really starting to loose hope. I will call ltr and tropic and see what they say. Thanks again! And wish me luck

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I recharge my purigen I use like 20x the recommended dose of safe, let it soak for 2 days and rinse and repeat. Let it sit in tap for a day then blast it with the hose nozzle for a few minutes before letting it sit in ro and a little safe for another day. It sounds crazy but I've been using it for years and never had an issue. Better safe than sorry.. safe is cheap any ways. Have 2 bags in rotation..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Back