Arduino group build

Would you be interested in an arduino based reef controller build?

• Yes

Votes: 19 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jason401

Non-member
We've been tossing around the idea of a rolling group build utilizing an arduino base reef controller.

We will have an instructor at the meeting to teach us what to do. Start off easy, and work into more complex aspects of the build. Maybe meet before or after the monthly meetings.

If you are unfamiliar with arduino based controllers do a quick search and see the possibilities are endless with this controller.

Last edited:
what are the odds ... I was looking into this myself just now, because Neptune raised all their prices. :) I'm in!

Count me in! I'm working on an Arduino based automated water change system. I already have a controller, but much of what this system does translates into what a controller would do.

A suggestion, could use something like GotoMeeting / WebEx to allow virtual meetings. At least that would help with sharing the Arduino sketchs. I suppose could use a web cam for the physical wiring bit.

Last edited:
Depending on the size/interest, I could arrange a meeting room at my job in Cambridge (MIT) with a projector or whatever we might need... I'd be interested for sure.

I am 90% done with one my friend is building me. It's just taking 4 months for him to get the time to finish fixing bugs :(

I would love to work (have him work) with the group though to learn/expand on it.

I'm a DIY type of guys so why they hell not try to do something like this! I need a controller anyways.

I would join.

We need to do some coding right? - if so, I'm moving one of the best developers I know to the U.S. in a month or two. He would be very helpful.

Count me in! I'm working on an Arduino based automated water change system. I already have a controller, but much of what this system does translates into what a controller would do.

A suggestion, could use something like GotoMeeting / WebEx to allow virtual meetings. At least that would help with sharing the Arduino sketchs. I suppose could use a web cam for the physical wiring bit.
I do that with developers at work every day. Turn go to meeting on and solve SQL issues together. It works great.
We leave it ON all day together with Skype.

I really like this idea I have an arduino Uno that i have left over from a backlighting project I had done that I was hoping to be able to use to make a controller.

I was just talking about something very similar with my brother.....
We (or I should say he) was thinking of using a Raspberry Pi to do this....
are these similar?

The Raspberry Pi can be used as a controller (GPIO) or with an ardiuno. If you are looking at functionality like a neptune a Rasberry pi might be
a better choice. ReefAngel controllers show that you can build a controller with an Ardiuno. Some people have also used ReefAngel modules with an ardiuno controller. The advantage of the Rasberry PI is more capacity,ethernet,and display support. Ardiuno would make a basic controller.
A Raspberry pi system could be more powerful than a neptune system. There is another possibility using an Arduino powered with a Andriod system. A 7" android system can now be purchased for around $60. This gives you a display,network connection, touch screen ...
There are many options to achieve the lowest cost you need to account for all the modules (Temp,power,pH ...)
I believe that this is a great idea as a group to define and work on a controller. I would discuss the 4 options
and weigh their cost and benefits.
1. Ardiuno and shields
2. Rasberry pi
3. Rasberry pi and ardiuno
4. Android and Ardiuno

Hello everyone, we will be having a BRS member do a small presentation on our BRS Arduino Group Build at this months meeting.

If your still interested and would like to get a little more info and understanding on what's entailed, please come and check it out.

Details on this months meeting here

I have an Arduino, Flow Meter, and case/shield all new in the box if someone's interested. I was going to build a kegbot for our office but didn't have time.

PM me, I'll put up a for sale thread.

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back