Boston Reefers Evolving Arduino Build - Part 2

MrX

Non-member
Hey All,

I've been asked to do a session at the January 2015 DIY meeting in regards to the Arduino/Netduino Controller we started earlier this year.

I'd like to take this opportunity to get everyone up to speed with the four controllable powered outlets and the initial program load-out on their boards.

If you want to join in and you don't have the parts you'll need to purchase them before the meeting. Boston Reefer's will NOT be chipping in for any parts this time. Please see the original thread for the parts list: Boston Reefers Evolving Arduino Build

For this meeting you will need:
1 x Controller -- Arduino UNO, Arduino Nano, etc. Or a Netduino
1 x 7-12v DC Wall Adapter (to power the controller) or a laptop/usb cord
1 x 4 Channel relay (Sainsmart)
2 x 2 Plug Wall Outlet
1 x 4 Gang Electrical Box
1 x 4 Gang Wall Plate (make sure the plate fits your box and the two pairs of outlets)
1 x Misc Jumpers (male/male, male/female, female/female)
1 x Grounded Wall plUG (think old computer power plug)
A couple feet of 16g wire (although 14g wouldn't hurt) [Note: one person could buy a spool of 'lamp wire' and split the cost with a bunch of others]

You'll also need:
- wire cutters/strippers
- electrical tape
- screw drivers
- whatever else you'd use for an electronics project

It's important that people bring their own tools or have plans to share with someone. At the first controller meeting people spent a lot of time waiting for tools so they could work on their projects.

--

The future game plan would be to implement things as discussed previously in our Arduino/Netduino Project Functionality Poll

We'll be trying to find links to a better temp probe (one that's completely sealed!) along with other components for future builds.

If you were in the first build and want to start up again, or are new and want in, please speak up in this thread so we have an idea of how many people are interested.

You'll also need:
- wire cutters/strippers

Who chipping in for strippers?

comic relief and a bump for a cool project...wish I wasn't putting a roof on my house next week, or I'd be in on this one, for sure!

This is not occurring until January 25th

You'll also need:
- wire cutters/strippers

Who chipping in for strippers?

comic relief and a bump for a cool project...wish I wasn't putting a roof on my house next week, or I'd be in on this one, for sure!

Are we adding on to what we allready had done?

You could if you bring your stuff. Did you get the temp probe and/or display working? Forget how far along you got.

In general I think this meeting will be more about getting everyone up to speed on the first part of the project. I know I need this just to give me some motivation to get back to it.

mine is still in my yellow baag. still havent had them time to build it so count me in this time ill bring my tools =)

Bump for the Arduino/Netduino build. Please post here if you are bringing your rig from last time and/or plan on starting at this meeting.

I'll try and get some info about the number of wires/etc. I used to build my 4-way controllable outlets; that way people could pre-cut/pre-strip them before hand and just wire things up at the meeting.

Only two people interested in continuing the Arduino build? One week left until the meeting... chime in if going to continue your build or will be joining in.

I tried to get some quotes from Alibaba for new temp probes but it looks like for plastic ones it would be about $4/unit.

----

In regards to the wiring for the controllable outlets you'll need:
- 16-gauge wire; you can find 16/2 lamp wire at Home Depot or Lowes that should work
- Electrical tape
- Wire caps/nuts; big enough to cap 4 16g wires

Assuming you're building a single 4-outlet power box (2x2 outlets) in a standard 2-gang box the following measurements should work. If you are using a different size/number of outlets/etc. you may want to make the wires longer.

- Cut up 14 pieces each about 5-1/2" to 6" (inches) long
- Strip off about 1/4" of the outer layer from each end of each piece
- Make sure the ends are still neat/wound tightly

These wires will be used to connect the 4-port relay to the outlets and the power cord.

NOTE: You'll also need some smaller gauge wire, like CAT-5E (network wire), and some type of connector(s) to connect the low voltage on the relay to the Arduino/Netduino.

Here's a picture of the relay and outlets wired up, but not packed into the box yet:

WiredUp.jpg

Here's a picture of the finished 4-outlet controllable power box. You can see the power cord and the wires that are used to connect to the Arduino:

FinishedControllableOutlet.jpg

Back