At a loss

Drichards

BRS Member
I have been dealing with a lot of lps loss recently. About a month ago wifey got covid, then shortly after gave it to me. I go to the pharmacy to get the meds to treat the covid walk in the house and all I smell is Lysol. Everything in the house was sprayed from the bedspread to the kitchen table, couch you name it. While the air conditioning was on blowing directly at my four tanks. I realized what had happened and was infuriated! There's a whole back story why I couldn't lash out on her that I prefer not to share but she was dealing with some medical issues at the time. Nevertheless basically all I keep is LPS and my tanks have slowly been declining. All my high-end torches are gone. I did in tank antibiotic treatments, numerous water changes in stepped up my activated carbon but continue to lose things. It's very discouraging. As we all know how much care and effort it requires to keep these animals happy and healthy. I must say I was on my game. People were Amazed by my tanks. Torch colonies that started from one head grew into small bushes. I'm not looking for sympathy, but how do I hit the reset button? It may sound crazy but when my corals are sick I feel sick, when they are not doing well I'm not doing well. So much time and money involved gone. I'm scared to even buy anything new because I'm not sure if it will survive or not. Fish are all doing fine. I sent out for an ICP test and it said my water was 95% good. Not really sure where to go from here. I have thoughts of throwing in the towel but reefing is one of the only things on this planet that gives me a little slice of peace. It's an outlet for me that keeps me away from the old lifestyle I lived many years ago.

massive water changes

Most of the chemicals in Lysol are not water soluble but there is ammonium hydroxide in it. the butane, propane, fragrance and other aerosols will dissipate. I'd start there. Based on the chemical formula thats public, I don't believe anything would stay in the rocks or sand. Run carbon, do massive water changes. Check your ammonia, nitrate and nitrite.

Sorry to hear about that…a well as the Covid stuff…..but don’t give up …..the bug never leaves…you’ll figure this out.

Sorry to hear about the losses. Many years ago I was fighting white slime covering rocks and corals. The slime took over and wiped out all of the corals except for the leathers. The fish were unaffected. The cause was believed to be from glade plugin air fresheners.

I’d guess that many of us who’ve had tanks for years have had a crash or a major die off event. I’ve lost colonies of SPS, and plenty of LPS. I try not to view SPS or LPS corals in terms of investment or monetary value, but more like annual and perennial flowers. I expect some loses.

Nowadays I mainly keep softies and zoas. One of my softies is over 16 years old. It’s difficult to kill softies. In contrast, two 4” - 5” multi-branch Acros that I’ve had for a few years just RTN’d overnight for no apparent reason other than I cooked dinner the night before.

Maybe consider a softie tank for now?

Last edited:
Back