Battery Backup suggestions

wcj_ink

Non-member
Im looking for a reliable battery backup that will run my system if ever to lose power while im away. Not sure which is best, reliable, runtime etc. Any recommendations and experience tips will be greatly appreciated

I have a EGO Power+ Nexus Power Station 120 V 3000 W 3 outlets Power Inverter, with 4 battery packs.
I used it once two years ago and it worked well.
I also have a small gas generator and a fast charger for those Ego batteries.
Since it was winter time at night when I needed it, I used the gas generator outdoor to charge a battery pack and swaping it out with a drained battery on the power station indoor. The fast charger charged each battery faster than a battery could be drained. So the power station was keeping up with the demand with one battery draining and two full batteries stood by.

The best part of these Ego power stations is that you can add and swap batteries on the fly, then charge the drained battery with a generator or at a place where it has power, may be charging them with your car.
I know I can fast charge the battery with my Jeep as it has a 120v outlet but I never (need to, knock on wood) try it.
Wait, may be I can just use my jeep..,

The best part of these Ego power stations is that you can add and swap batteries on the fly, then charge the drained battery with a generator or at a place where it has power, may be charging them with your car.
I know I can fast charge the battery with my Jeep as it has a 120v outlet but I never (need to, knock on wood) try it.
Wait, may be I can just use my jeep..,
Good to know, i have a gas generator on hand but i do need something to kick in while im not home now

I don’t think the EGO power station will work in this case.
I have UPS battery backup on all my return pumps, they will kick in automatically when power is out.
I tested all the UPS batteries and they can keep the return pumps running for at least 2 hours and buy me time to setup the powerstation.

Here is a little trick I learned:
Those lead acid batteries in computer UPS are not very good and they only last for a year or two, also their power fade and significantly shorter that the claimed battery power.

So, I replace those lead acid pieces of craps with lithium batteries.

So i was about to buy a ups backup but the runtime on it was really bad for price. I want something to run my return, powerheads and heater all at once for at lease a couple of hours

I don’t think the EGO power station will work in this case.
I have UPS battery backup on all my return pumps, they will kick in automatically when power is out.
I tested all the UPS batteries and they can keep the return pumps running for at least 2 hours and buy me time to setup the powerstation.
What models?

Here is a link to the battery
HWE 12V 7Ah Battery, 12V Lithium Battery, Deep Cycle 12V LiFePO4 Battery Built-in BMS with F2 Terminal Offer 4000 Cycles Life, for Small UPS, Solar Power, Fish Finder, and Speaker https://a.co/d/iurPN9L

Edit:
My APC UPS units are older versions with sinewave output, so I removed the incorrect link.
Basically any APC sine wave UPS will work.

Last edited:
Cyber Power UPS works too, I have one, it uses the same battery as APC.

The best part is that you can plug an AC pump into these UPS, it won’t limited you for DC pumps.
The power lost from covering DC to AC then power a DC pump vs DC directly (via stepping up 12V DC to 24V DC) is about 10 to 15% lost, not too bad.

Back