Best t-5 bulbs?

BoArDwAxStYlE

Non-member
what does everyone think the best t-5 bulbs are?
I need to replace my bulbs and i was going to go with ATI, however ive heard otherwise.
Also what bulbs (blue plus, purple plus, aquablue special,etc) should i get? I have a four bulb setup, and i do have corals, duncans, candycanes, zoas,frogspawn,toadstool,chalaice,warcoral,LTA,GSP.

Thanks everyone.

I like ATI. I currently run 2 Blue+ and 2 aqua blue specials. If I wasn't getting a MH for the new tank I may switch one of the ABS for another Blue+ or maybe a Purple+.

Not at all. You may like the setup I have now then with the 2 ABS and 2 Blue plus. Has a nice blue tint to it but still plenty of white as well.

Not at all. You may like the setup I have now then with the 2 ABS and 2 Blue plus. Has a nice blue tint to it but still plenty of white as well.

Do you have any pictures?
Im thinking about going with this set up, 1st timer is on 1 hour before and 1 hour after 2nd timer.

True Actinic = 1st timer
Purple Plus = 2nd timer
Blue Plus = 1st timer
Aquablue Special = 2nd timer
(Front of tank if viewed from above) Any imput on this setup is welcomed, how you would change it or do it differently.

Last edited:
This is a pic of my tank when I was running 2 abs and 2 ab+.they are only 4 months old and for sale btw
photobucket-7087-1316868046764.jpg

sweet, thanks guys, They dont make everything tooo blue? Im looking for a nice balance, dont want to over blue the view.

Do you have any pictures?
Im thinking about going with this set up, 1st timer is on 1 hour before and 1 hour after 2nd timer.

True Actinic = 1st timer
Purple Plus = 2nd timer
Blue Plus = 1st timer
Aquablue Special = 2nd timer
(Front of tank if viewed from above) Any imput on this setup is welcomed, how you would change it or do it differently.

This might be too blue of a combination. IMO, the True Actinic really isn't needed and is not a good bulb for par. Personally, I would replace it with another AB special or coral plus if you wanted a tad more blue.

If you're ever up this way, I have plenty of old bulbs that you can play with to get a good combination for you.

2 blue +, 1 coral plus or KZ new generation, 1 aquablue sp.----should give you a nice 12k look. not too blue but not white either. If you want bluer, replace either the coral+ or abs with another blue+ or even a purple+. THeres alot of ways to go and its a learning experience to find what you like the most. The nice thing is if you dont like the look its only 1 bulb to switch prolly@18 bucks. Usually Ill order an extra bulb to play around with the combos and store incase a bulb blows out early.

and super actinic(true) arent needed and give little to a bulb setup of only 4. if you had 8-10 bulbs then maybe throw an Superactinc in but they add no par and the color gets overwhelmed by the B+ or P+ bulbs.

This might be too blue of a combination. IMO, the True Actinic really isn't needed and is not a good bulb for par. Personally, I would replace it with another AB special or coral plus if you wanted a tad more blue.

If you're ever up this way, I have plenty of old bulbs that you can play with to get a good combination for you.

Thanks ill keep that in mind, Sounds like i have some fun ahead planned out for this friday. Thanks everyone

Back