Beware - REEF CRYSTALS Dkh issues

ECExotics

BRS Member
I normally run Aquaforest salt mixes in ALL of my marine systems whether fowlr or acropora dominated tank. I was stuck in a pinch and needed to do substantial water changes. My regular salt was not available so I did what we’ve all done and picked up the 200 gallon box of instant ocean reef crystals. After mixing water with powerhead for HOURS I did my usual water change thinking nothing of the switch. I know plenty of veterans who use instant ocean and have the most immaculate Acro reefs I’ve ever seen, how bad could this be? Well in One night I lost a handful of my favorite Acropora due to a MASSIVE alkalinity swing. Dkh is CONSISTENLY 8-8.3dkh, this morning it was 11.5dkh...I’m lucky I didn’t lose ALL of my acropora. Thankfully my brother and I operate 8 tanks in our home so we had another established sps only system to house the other colonies. Know what you’re using and TEST TEST AND TEST AGAIN. I made the mistake and I don’t want any of you to experience this.
R.I.P
Pinky the bear
Reef Raft orion
Ora pearlberry
One of my JF Blowtorch
It’s a sad day at ECE

I normally run Aquaforest salt mixes in ALL of my marine systems whether fowlr or acropora dominated tank. I was stuck in a pinch and needed to do substantial water changes. My regular salt was not available so I did what we’ve all done and picked up the 200 gallon box of instant ocean reef crystals. After mixing water with powerhead for HOURS I did my usual water change thinking nothing of the switch. I know plenty of veterans who use instant ocean and have the most immaculate Acro reefs I’ve ever seen, how bad could this be? Well in One night I lost a handful of my favorite Acropora due to a MASSIVE alkalinity swing. Dkh is CONSISTENLY 8-8.3dkh, this morning it was 11.5dkh...I’m lucky I didn’t lose ALL of my acropora. Thankfully my brother and I operate 8 tanks in our home so we had another established sps only system to house the other colonies. Know what you’re using and TEST TEST AND TEST AGAIN. I made the mistake and I don’t want any of you to experience this.
R.I.P
Pinky the bear
Reef Raft orion
Ora pearlberry
One of my JF Blowtorch
It’s a sad day at ECE
Sorry for you losses Gino. Reef crystals are always high up on dKh.

Thanks Paul, I knew it was higher but not this high lol. It’s a learning experience I just want to share it with the members
From what ive noticed they change from batch to batch from my experience. Now i know how I've lost almost all my montis recently. Figured i'd stop dosing as my tank was only consuming .04 ml per day and figured wc would be best as swings have been nuts for me.
I only recently noticed as i let a few tanks go further than 7 days and all tanks went out of whack!
So i started testing batches made prior to wc to make sure it wasn't me just over reacting. And sure enough last weeks batch had 10.5 dkh (24 hours)
this weeks batch had 8.5 dkh (24 hours)
Is this normal for IO reef crystals???

Don’t do this to yourself like I did..View attachment 139098
From what ive noticed they change from batch to batch from my experience. Now i know how I've lost almost all my montis recently. Figured i'd stop dosing as my tank was only consuming .04 ml per day and figured wc would be best as swings have been nuts for me.
I only recently noticed as i let a few tanks go further than 7 days and all tanks went out of whack!
So i started testing batches made prior to wc to make sure it wasn't me just over reacting. And sure enough last weeks batch had 10.5 dkh (24 hours)
this weeks batch had 8.5 dkh (24 hours)
Is this normal for IO reef crystals???
i have never seen it this high before so it is absolutely possible that it lacks quality control.

My reef crystals are usually in the 8dkh range as well I just mixed 30g of salt so I'm gunna test it again and make sure haha thanks for the update.

My reef crystals are usually in the 8dkh range as well I just mixed 30g of salt so I'm gunna test it again and make sure haha thanks for the update.
Your very welcome. Now I’m just testing water prior to wc to get a better idea on what to dose if dosing is necessary smh

That’s why I never expected it to be high. I test with Hanna checkers and test two sets of tubes to make sure it’s accurate

The most positive part is MOST of my favorites survived, and I will still be cutting the Jolt & pimped out tenuis soon as well as the WWC all star

Reefcrystal always has higher than necessary Alkalinity, it has been like that for decades. It is meant for people who do not dose much.

If you keep the same levels of dosing and switched to RC, the alkalinity can be out of range.

That is why the regular purple box IO salt is a better choice combined with dosing.

But on the other note, Alk at 11.5 should not killed acro like that.
There could be something else went wrong.

Sorry for your loss
I use the RC last seven years and use up to more than 60 box of them ready and I don’t have any issues
The only problem I have can’t keep DKH over 8.5
Only 7.5-8.3 in my tank
As long as you keep the same salt

I use a bag of RC every week and my parameters always drop from 9 to mid 8’s after a water change. The caveat is that i constantly have a 50g barrel of saltwater mixing. Dong told me once that the Alk from RC drops after so long mixing. I’ve never tested a fresh batch, but it seems to be accurate based on how I use it.

I restocked Aquaforest and will be slowly doing water changes to get back to where I need to be. The Rc will not be used again here

google ..(test of marine salts which one is best) has some interesting info and charts note translate to english

That sucks Gino
I’ve read people testing fresh batches at close to 13 dkh. I don’t run high dkh so I’ve never used it.

Back