Beware - REEF CRYSTALS Dkh issues

It's always high in my experience, I do frequent small water changes and cuts back on my dosing amount. Having very good luck so far using it with an auto water change system, and dosing controlled by the trident and dos. It is labeled as having elevated levels though. And will work better when used in systems with elevated numbers I'm not sure

From what ive noticed they change from batch to batch from my experience. Now i know how I've lost almost all my montis recently. Figured i'd stop dosing as my tank was only consuming .04 ml per day and figured wc would be best as swings have been nuts for me.
I only recently noticed as i let a few tanks go further than 7 days and all tanks went out of whack!
So i started testing batches made prior to wc to make sure it wasn't me just over reacting. And sure enough last weeks batch had 10.5 dkh (24 hours)
this weeks batch had 8.5 dkh (24 hours)
Is this normal for IO reef crystals???
I currently use reef crystals and my dkh has never had such a bad swing like that...my dkh is constantly at 9.3 - 9.5 at all times. lowest it has been was 9.1
I normally run Aquaforest salt mixes in ALL of my marine systems whether fowlr or acropora dominated tank. I was stuck in a pinch and needed to do substantial water changes. My regular salt was not available so I did what we’ve all done and picked up the 200 gallon box of instant ocean reef crystals. After mixing water with powerhead for HOURS I did my usual water change thinking nothing of the switch. I know plenty of veterans who use instant ocean and have the most immaculate Acro reefs I’ve ever seen, how bad could this be? Well in One night I lost a handful of my favorite Acropora due to a MASSIVE alkalinity swing. Dkh is CONSISTENLY 8-8.3dkh, this morning it was 11.5dkh...I’m lucky I didn’t lose ALL of my acropora. Thankfully my brother and I operate 8 tanks in our home so we had another established sps only system to house the other colonies. Know what you’re using and TEST TEST AND TEST AGAIN. I made the mistake and I don’t want any of you to experience this.
R.I.P
Pinky the bear
Reef Raft orion
Ora pearlberry
One of my JF Blowtorch
It’s a sad day at ECE
sorry for the lost man...that blows in all levels.

I swear more sh** goes wrong with water changes than anything else. Keep them small if you can and always give it at least a day after you mix a fresh batch.
I've always left a day after the batch is completed but the longer you leave it the lower the dkh goes. It depletes on a day to day basis it seems. I also found another corporate in the water quality which is my RODI system sediment filter is sh** and the water has been crap smfh (HAD CHANGES IT 3/22/20). I shut it all down and will be changing all the filters except the DI resin and leaving it flush out for at least 5-15 mins before making another batch of water and saltwater batch SMFH.
Happy Friday to all and Happy reefing! ;) :cool:

By no means am I bashing the product, just sharing my experience and it seems more than one person here has had a similar experience. I am already rebounding, sticks are happy in my other system. Keep on reefing and learning
I'm glad that quick response worked for you chief. You'll bounce back even better. Lesson learned to us that use it. LOL ;):cool:

I use either reg IO and Reef Crystals. I just mixed a fresh batch of Reef Crystals the other day and @ 1.026 it measured 8.4 dkh. I have seen it higher in the past, it definitely fluctuates for sure. My norm is regular IO, however a few months back there was an amazing deal on Reef Crystals so I bought a few boxes.

Reefcrystal always has higher than necessary Alkalinity, it has been like that for decades. It is meant for people who do not dose much.

If you keep the same levels of dosing and switched to RC, the alkalinity can be out of range.

That is why the regular purple box IO salt is a better choice combined with dosing.
Dong,

I agree fully here. Only thing I can admit is I do buy Reef Crystals when there is a really good buy. Outside of that is regular IO as my norm.

I use either reg IO and Reef Crystals. I just mixed a fresh batch of Reef Crystals the other day and @ 1.026 it measured 8.4 dkh. I have seen it higher in the past, it definitely fluctuates for sure. My norm is regular IO, however a few months back there was an amazing deal on Reef Crystals so I bought a few boxes.
Interesting observation.
I just opened up a new bucket of Reefcrystal this morning, this bucket is the latest one they sent out. It looks a bit different and seemed dissolved quicker.

At 1.025, I measured the Alkalinity is at 9.5 dkh. I used to see them around 12 dkh before.

All the salts are blends of raw chemicals. When they dissolve in water, it takes some time for them to mix well. Normally about 2 to 4 hours depending on which salt. Initially the Alk of the mix will be very high, then the Alk will drop and stabilize after the salt is fully mixed.

I have used RC and more recently standard IO my whole reefing experience. I have to admit I don't usually check my alk in my new water, but I have noticed with Flyfisherman that everything responds better when my new water mixes for at least 24hrs. This has been consistent enough that I always give at least this long and preferably a bit more before changing water. However, my measures are subjective...just the daily observation of how "happy" my corals look after water changes.

Many years again I tried one bucket of SeaChem Reef Salt and my corals looked really bad the whole time I was using it. Since then I've wondered if maybe the issue is just the change from the normal routine and not the salt itself?

@ECE though, so sorry for the losses. I hate loosing stuff no matter how it happens!

Interesting observation.
I just opened up a new bucket of Reefcrystal this morning, this bucket is the latest one they sent out. It looks a bit different and seemed dissolved quicker.

At 1.025, I measured the Alkalinity is at 9.5 dkh. I used to see them around 12 dkh before.
yup mine is always at 9.5dkh at 1.025 as well...I mix the day before I do water changes so 24hr mix all the time...I dont always test the new mix beside salinity and temp but I think I should from now on just in case.

Usually when they do the deals. It's my impression they are unloading some older stock. So be wary of that

>But on the other note, Alk at 11.5 should not killed acro like that<

My thoughts as well. You'd have to do a huge water change to really have a big change in alk. Simple math would tell you. Even 20% water change (which would be really large) on a tank at 8 with a mix at 12 would only bring the tank to 8.8. I've had massive alk spikes when I don't notice my CO2 tank is getting low. I almost never see any real ramifications. I'd check into other causes before this bites you again. JMHO.

>But on the other note, Alk at 11.5 should not killed acro like that<

My thoughts as well. You'd have to do a huge water change to really have a big change in alk. Simple math would tell you. Even 20% water change (which would be really large) on a tank at 8 with a mix at 12 would only bring the tank to 8.8. I've had massive alk spikes when I don't notice my CO2 tank is getting low. I almost never see any real ramifications. I'd check into other causes before this bites you again. JMHO.
I’ve never had an issue until I used this salt, everything is squared away and the sticks are happy as ever. I appreciate everyone’s input!

Sorry to hear about this! I run reef crystals and my alk is always that high. Sometimes i get an odd box that mixes around 9.5. Doing water changes is a double edge sword sometimes. Just the other week i did a water change and didnt look inside the barrel of new salt water and when i got done w the water change i looked into the barrel and found a busted heater! Smelled like an electrical fire! Idk how i missed it but moral of the story for me now is i will never do a water change w out inspecting and testing the new water! I only lost 2 acro frags and pissed off everything else. Im still not out of the water but things are looking better.
20200418_184008.jpg

Sorry to hear about this! I run reef crystals and my alk is always that high. Sometimes i get an odd box that mixes around 9.5. Doing water changes is a double edge sword sometimes. Just the other week i did a water change and didnt look inside the barrel of new salt water and when i got done w the water change i looked into the barrel and found a busted heater! Smelled like an electrical fire! Idk how i missed it but moral of the story for me now is i will never do a water change w out inspecting and testing the new water! I only lost 2 acro frags and pissed off everything else. Im still not out of the water but things are looking better.View attachment 139230
Good thing you caught that!!! Scary stuff

Back