Bio-Load Question

MichaelJ

Reefer
BRS Member
I just bought a firefish....I'm picking up a Yellow Tang on Thursday, I'm o.k with the bio load right? I'm not getting anymore fish for a while, but when I do... how long should I wait?

Michael

I would say so, Im not expert but I started my tank with two damsels and they did fine. Then again theyre hardy fish. How longs your tank but running?

I would say so, Im not expert but I started my tank with two damsels and they did fine. Then again theyre hardy fish. How longs your tank but running?

It's been running about a month and a half.... Today was the first day for fish. I realize I don't have to worry about the crabs or snails when it comes to bio load.

IMO, I would wait another month or so for the YT.

I was thinking of putting the Tang in a separate tank for a little bit... I have a quarantine tank in my basement. Plus I already said I would grab it on Thursday.... (when it comes to this hobby it's easy to say yes before thinking) lol

Provided your rock is well populated with bacteria you should be in decent shape. Adding creatures more slowly and gradually is always a good idea so I would see how things god for at least a month or two before adding more after this. You also have some control over the bioload after you add these two by controlling how much you feed. Again, start it out slowly like a little food every other day or so. Obviously if your fish start to look thin, you can step it up. Give the bacteria time to adjust to the bioload increase.

I think I will go for the Yello Tang.... and call it a day on getting more fish for at least a month or two....

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but... Corals don't add to bioloade do they?

Nope, corals actually help absorb free nutrients in the water. Don't interpret that as a recommendation to go and get some now though. You need to have good stable water quality without any bio-overload/nitrate problems to sustain them well.

Nope, corals actually help absorb free nutrients in the water. Don't interpret that as a recommendation to go and get some now though. You need to have good stable water quality without any bio-overload/nitrate problems to sustain them well.

So when you get a fish... Nitrate levels go up? Is that what's meant by Bio-overload?

I don't think you'll have any problem adding those two fish if the tank is all done cycling, and nitrates aren't high. Be careful not to overfeed. Then wait a month before starting to slowly add other fish.

I would go spend about $80 on cleanup critters right away though. In my opinion, a tank that size with a sand bed needs about 2 dozen scarlet hermits, 2 dozen blue leg hermits, a dozen cerith, 20 nassarius snails, and a fighting conch. As you can see I'm not a big believer in snails for cleaning the rocks and glass, but you could also add a handful of astreas if you like. (I think they just get in the way of the cleaning magnet, and fall over upside down and die.)
I think a robust cleanup crew helps check algae outbreaks before they really become a problem, and they avoid buildup of junk, crap, and extra food in the nooks and crannies in your tank. Also, they make the tank a lot more interesting to stare at. :)

I don't think you'll have any problem adding those two fish if the tank is all done cycling, and nitrates aren't high. Be careful not to overfeed. Then wait a month before starting to slowly add other fish.

I would go spend about $80 on cleanup critters right away though. In my opinion, a tank that size with a sand bed needs about 2 dozen scarlet hermits, 2 dozen blue leg hermits, a dozen cerith, 20 nassarius snails, and a fighting conch. As you can see I'm not a big believer in snails for cleaning the rocks and glass, but you could also add a handful of astreas if you like. (I think they just get in the way of the cleaning magnet, and fall over upside down and die.)
I think a robust cleanup crew helps check algae outbreaks before they really become a problem, and they avoid buildup of junk, crap, and extra food in the nooks and crannies in your tank. Also, they make the tank a lot more interesting to stare at. :)

I just might do that... maybe not 80.00 worth but I get the point... I was just nervous when I got the few I have because they cleaned everything down to the bone... and I didn't want to get more if they are going to starve if that's possible...

So when you get a fish... Nitrate levels go up? Is that what's meant by Bio-overload?

Well, not necessarily. Fish do produce Ammonia as waste though, and the denitrification bacteria in your tank convert toxic ammonia to nitrite (also toxic), and then to nitrate (only slightly toxic), and finally to nitrogen (completely non-toxic, and just gasses off into the room air).

The last step is the hardest to establish in our tanks, and it is the limiting step in any of our tanks. So if fish are added to a new tank, or if too many fish are added to a mature tank, it's likely that the nitrate-to-nitrogen bacteria will be overwhelmed by the increased waste, and you will see nitrate levels rise.

Ideally your tank's denitrifiers will prosper as you slowly stock your tank, and the nitrates will actually drop to near zero over the next 6 months, and then stay there even when your tank is fully (but conservatively) stocked.

O.k... Cool. I'll stick with the 2 fish and get a bunch of more clean-up crews going.... Thanks for the imput.

Michael

Just thinking here please feel free to correct me if I am wrong but, I am in a similar situation almost same stock, 3 chromis and a pair of clowns 1", in a 72 and about a month ahead of about 3mos in.

I am Looking at adding a new addition in the upcoming weeks and leaning towards a (1) pygmy angel of some sort, flame, coral beauty, potters etc.

Given this would it be beneficial to increase bioload by slightly overfeeding existing stock for a week or two prior to the introduction of a larger waste producer such as these? Not sure if this would help, hurt or have no effect in regards to acclimating the tank and the new addition.

THoughts?

Back