bio pellet reactor advice

Rhody

Non-member
Ive decided that a bio pellet reactor will probably be beneficial to my new fowlr tank. It will be heavily stocked. Im looking for some recomendations as to which ones people have had good luck with and also what size i will need for a 400 gal system. Thanks, Tom

Ok, i'm thinking of going with the biomaxx xl reactor. Anyone have advice on which bio pellet to use?

OK, not that this thread has generated too much interest but i figured I'd let people know what i ended up ordering. Finally decided on the NextReef SMR1 XLSolid Media Reactor and NP Biopellets All In One Biopellets. I couldn't find alot of feed back on either item but he product specs seemed to be very good. The reactor had good customer feedback at marine depot though alot of it was short term experience. The pellets were more difficult to assess. These pellets didnt have any worthwhile customer feedback but after reading he product description it appeared that they have found a way to produce a pellet that has the reactor act as a bio pellet and gfo in one unit. I also noticed that this reactor was designed for these pellets. I'll see how it goes.

I have this reactor. You are going to need a decent size pump like a mag 5 to keep the bio pellets moving for a long period of time.

From my short experience with bio pellets I do no think the brand makes a huge difference.

You can buy sponges for this reactor to run carbon or gfo in the future if you ever decide to nix the bio pellets.

Im going to be running it with the max capacity of pellets so i plan on using an mag 7 . that i can throttle back if needed. Plus i havea couple of mag 7's on hand. The cost of that media caught my by surprise. Because of the size of my system i bought 4 1000ml bags. Hope the wife doesnt check the credit card statement.

I also just ordered the dos module for my apex to handle water changes. That didnt help the grand total at check out. Lol

Last edited:
I did a tiny bit of research on Bio pellets . and I may pursue them in the future but right now I am sticking with what has worked on my 90 and not making any big changes . and that is running a fuge with cheato , calcium reactor and GFO But I would like to see how those bio pellets pan out for ya

If you have no corals you should be OK but coral are very sensitive to the quick drop in nitrate and phosphate. You cant just dial back the pump on the reactor cause you need to make sure the media tumbles or it clump and cause problems. That's why a recirculating reactor is the best.

I was going to dial back the pump to get the right tumble with the pellets. Is this not possible?

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back