Bio Spira

greggj77

Non-member
Good Day Reefers,

Cycling a new tank been running for about 10 days, added bio spira yesterday and had a large spike in nitrates @ 225ppm, is this common. Also it says to turn off the skimmer for 48hrs I am not sure how much I like removing the skimmer from a cycling tank.

Tank (72g) is barren with, about 95lbs of LR awaiting

Just curious as to what others experiences with Bio Spira have been and should I hook the skimmer back up?

Thanks again to all on this site, look forward to getting to knwo everybody and swapping some goodies in the near futuer.

Best,
Gregg

I have used in the past and never saw a spike of any kind. Sounds a bit strange. Did you buy the right one? they have a fresh water and saltwater version? From my understanding it should avoid the spike of Ammonia and Nitrite but not sure why it would make Nitrate jump like that. What was your Nitrate reading prior to adding it?

I know mine caps out at 250 and it was pretty high.

Not sure about nitrates previously, I just got my test kit today and I put the Bio Spira in yesterday.

This is the evolution of the tank to date. I used 120lbs of kolorscape, bought all water from a LFS, added 40lbs of dry rock last sunday, ran skimmer remora pro for 1 week, picked up about 60lbs of nice LR coverd from an established system on sat, put in bio spira on monday turned off skimmer and tested tank today.

it was definitely the saltwater bio spira so that shoudl not be the issue.

I don't want to rush things but, along the same line I want to make sure everything is moving forward.

I have been using kent reef supplements as well it includes calc, iodine, strob, purple up and biozyme.

anything else I could or should be doing?

Thanks again for the response.

What are your Nitrites and Ammonia testing at? I would be surprised you are not getting any spikes due to the dry rock, even adding the Bio Spira. My guess is that it can only do so much and if you have a constant source of die off on the rock that would continue the problem regardless. Have you tried doing a water change?

Back