Question re: Bio Spira

Danno

Non-member
Hi all,
I'm in the process of putting together my first reef tank. I have a 90 gallon tank and all the hardware to go with it and I'm currently in the process of curing my rock. I've had my 100 lbs of rock curing in my garage for 10 days now. I'm on vacation this week and I'd really like to get my rock cured so I can put my system together. I bought some Bio-Spira to help speed up the curing process, but the directions simply say "Add entire bottle to aquarium up to 30 gallons. Aquarium is then ready for fish".
If anyone has used this before, can you provide more information on how to use this product?

Thanks!

Dan

From what I understand, it is basically dormant bacteria in a bottle. They need some sort of ammonia source to feed off of, but otherwise it works great.

FWIW I cycled my frag tank with bio-spira and put fish in the tank the next day. 6 months later and everything is doing well.

I just cycled a 75 gal refugium and 30 gal sump with Bio-Spira and has been running for 3 weeks but not attached to the reef ready tank yet. For 3 weeks I've been testing my water for a spike and all I saw was my ammonia slightly high at 15ppm and and nothing after that. I added cheato and hermit crabs on the third week and all is thriving with no problems. It's all a good bacteria that does well. So my answer is would be it's works great for a cycle with cured rock but adding uncured rock chances are you'll start a cycle process.

I started my 55g reef with bio-spirola. I added live rock and a full bottle. Within acweek added fish. Added coral (sps,Lps,zoas) within 3 weeks. I have had zero across nitrates,trites,and ammonia from the begin (8 months ago). I was pretty skeptical of this product, but it does work.

I forgot to mention is that the sump and refugium dosed with Bio-Spira that will be connected to a 120 that water has been introduced to the 90 gal swap and visa versa to acclimated the waters as close as I can. It's almost like doing a water change into the 90 and the fish and corals have had no problems. In about 2 weeks the 120 will be moved into place and all the Bio-Spira water and all will soon be in motion to a tank that's acclimated or very near close to the same water parameters so's not to shock the 120 with 110 gals of sump/refugium.

Hey gang, thanks for the college of knowledge!
My electrician just left. I asked him to do some work do make sure that I'm not going to overload any breakers! I'm going to assemble everything Thursday. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!

Dan

Back