BIO Spira And Fishless Cycling

Briko03

Non-member
Anyone ever use the stuff? Actually work or just another snake oil?

77964_IOBSMLB250ml_300%5B1%5D_94688.jpg

Also, I am going to be adding cured live rock to my tank and was wondering if anyone had suggestions to cycle the tank that didn't involve using damsels or something of that nature. I have heard something about adding cocktail shrimp, would that help jump start things or should I be fine with the live rock and some time?

It does help speed up the process. The cured love rock will also help too.
I could always add fish within a week with no losses.
Just make sure you test your water before getting any new additions.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Pardon the play on words but word prediction sucks. I still haven't figured out how to turn.it off ....:)

Beats me but I could hook you up with that big bristle worm in my avatar..

Don't know about that one, but most of them are junk. If anything is going to work it would probably be Dr Tim's One and Only. Dr Tim Hovanec is actually a pretty well respected microbiologist, who more or less figured out what bacteria is actually in our systems. However, if you ask him, or read the fine print, it's only only recommended for fairly light bioloads and really isn't going to make the tank inhabitable to particularly sensitive organisms instantly. Adding a piece of live rock, from an established tank will certainly also bring in the correct bacteria, although, probably more effectively. So, bacteria in a bottle isn't something I think is that useful, but if it is manufactured correctly, with good quality control, uses the correct bacteria and hasn't been sitting on the shelf too long, it may be somewhat effective, but IMO still not ideal.

As for a nutrient source, I just feed the tank, as if I was feeding the fish I plan to keep. This helps ensure there is enough bacteria. I still recommend waiting even if nutrients aren't detectable tough, just to make sure the bacteria populations are stable. Nothing worse than adding livestock and then having a spike.

I was under the impression that the bio spira is a dr Tim 's formula. I could be wrong on that. I have also used mb7 and prodibio with good results.

I was under the impression that the bio spira is a dr Tim 's formula. I could be wrong on that. I have also used mb7 and prodibio with good results.

He developed the original bio-spira when he was at Marineland. If I understand correctly, that isn't produced anymore and there were some patent issues. Maybe IO ended up with them? I don't know for sure if it's actually the same formula. Maybe someone else knows? I know One and Only is new and definitely not the same though.

Back