Black bugs

Thanks Steve. That's why I pulled all my caps. Just to be sure.
When I kick these bastards I'll replace your frags.

Will interceptor kill snails? I've read mixed reviews. Has anyone ever dosed interceptor and had their snails live to tell the story?

Steve

PS... no worries Bill, I have no ill feelings towards this whole thing, it's just a part of reefing :) It's my own fault for not dipping my corals.

Now you guys have me paranoid. I was looking at my purple monti cap. and thought "Are those black bugs!?" the polyps were just closed up some and looked dark.

Now you guys have me paranoid. I was looking at my purple monti cap. and thought "Are those black bugs!?" the polyps were just closed up some and looked dark.

I know what you mean Steve. I was making myself crazy. They do look like a closed polyp. About the same size. Only way I could tell was ones where there weren't any polyps.:)

Well I just got around a half dozen off of my cap and will be looking at those in a little bit under a microscope in lab. They sure are a lively bunch in this vial.

Well I just got around a half dozen off of my cap and will be looking at those in a little bit under a microscope in lab. They sure are a lively bunch in this vial.

If you only have one cap, why don't you just treat it and be done? Black bugs are easily killed with Interceptor. I pulled each and every cap from my system and treated them. I then set up a QT tank and left them for two weeks. I never saw any sign of black bugs, but treated them again after two weeks just to be safe. I didn't lose any of the corals and now I know the black bugs are gone.

If you only have one cap, why don't you just treat it and be done? Black bugs are easily killed with Interceptor. I pulled each and every cap from my system and treated them. I then set up a QT tank and left them for two weeks. I never saw any sign of black bugs, but treated them again after two weeks just to be safe. I didn't lose any of the corals and now I know the black bugs are gone.

I didn't treat again because I wanted to look at them under a microscope. It turns out that they look very much like red bugs, but all black instead. I have some pictures, but they aren't the greatest and my host is being crappy right now so it will have to wait a little bit.

Maybe I'm missing another thread or something...but are the "black bugs" causing any problems with the caps? I know when I had the red acro bugs, they caused my acros to pull in polyps, discolor etc...but again, are the black ones causing harm to the montis?

Dave

Maybe I'm missing another thread or something...but are the "black bugs" causing any problems with the caps? I know when I had the red acro bugs, they caused my acros to pull in polyps, discolor etc...but again, are the black ones causing harm to the montis?

Dave

They do the same thing, less polyp extension and colour loss.

Sorry about the poor quality but this was one of the best pictures I got of them from the microscope. As you can see they look a lot like the red bugs from this article: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2003/feature.htm

Attachments

• NYC 018.jpg
    NYC 018.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 375
Well because of my lack of time to treat properly during the last semester I never fully eradicated my black bugs. I was looking in my tank today and realized that my orange digi had them. It was odd because this is the first time I have noticed them on it in the month I have had the digi. I realized something was off because the colour faded overnight to pink. At first I thought this was because I had switched to BB, but I was looking today and saw the bugs. I never saw them on their before because I hadn't treated my caps while I had the digi. I did a betadine dip a couple of nights ago for the caps, and now my digi has the bugs.

So anyone that had the bugs might want to check their digi too.

Yep, just checked my digi's and it looks like black bugs. Over the past couple weeks I've noticed poor polyp extension on them, I just didn't give it too much thought.

Steve

I ended up treating my whole system with Interceptor. I found them on Digi and caps. Just didn't want to screw around with them. Treated the tank twice a week apart, 90 gal water change each time.
Lost a cleaner shrimp and every hermit crab living in the system. The fuges also took a wicked hit. Amphipods, Mysid shrimp and pod population were almost wiped out.
It's been 2 months now and still no bugs. Great polyp extension and color.
The fuges are making a come back also. Still don't have the clouds of pods I use to see, but I can see enough to know their making a come back. The shrimp seem to be a little quicker at repopulating.

Back