Blue Caribbean tang is stupid

im sorry but in my fish keeping expierineces ,healthy fish dont bump in to anything .i mentioned selcon and garlic as preventative measures ,why would he not want to fatten him up and build immune system ?.

fish swim all their lives .i consider them masters of swimming under water ,im not doubting your fish is or isnt crazy but i would keep an eye on him

Hard to tell from the photo, but the "farmed" algae looks like bryopsis. This might be why the tang is not eating that algae, most fish don't. A rabbit fish might take care of that for you. Injuries on the sides sometimes come from their hiding holes. If they don't have an adequate sized hole to rest in they sometimes cram themselves into smaller holes and end up rubbing their sides on the rocks.

yea he is doing better, no more new scratches and the old ones are healing... this is an old picture but thats the cave he sleeps in. i only planned on one tang so thats the big cave, it opens up wider inside and now actually cause a rock fell over i had to redo the rock work and i had to slide the rock infront of the cave over and it made the opening even bigger. then there is one medium and one more small. 8.jpg

Last edited:
IMHO, doing better now only furthers my, and I'm sure others, thoughts of ich. It has a very specific life cycle. Part of includes a stage that not parasitic.

Did it ever show spots? I thought we were talking about scratches.

Not saying the fish couldn't be carrying ick, but I don't think anything described has suggested it except that the fish scratched itself on the rocks - did I miss something?

i think thats what happened .....that he said the fish was eating of the rock and scratching him self .so we all started stateting what it could be ,and i along with danny were stating it is not the fish bieng stupid rather in fact it is probly scratching of the rocks.

i had a hippo scratch so much from ich ,it had scrapes on the side from pointy rocks

and i believe a fish would scrape his sides from a uncofortable itch than from manouvering around the tank

I see what you guys are saying and it does make sense.

Have either of you seen a tang show that sort of scratching and NOT had any other visable sings of ick or another parisite?

I beleive that I have yes, the fish would scratch itself against rocks and the ick wasnt noticable, but then again maybe I didnt look hard enough

yea ive seen it done too ...i thought it was how (like in fr3esh water )the fish was claiming something ,but it could very well be ich in its gills

I have also. I have ich currently. I just keep my fish healthy. I have no way of removing them for treatment. As I said, ich is not selective. If its in your tank, all of your fish have it. I regularly see it on my kole and not my other fish which includes a second tang. A yellow tang.

I have also. I have ich currently. I just keep my fish healthy. I have no way of removing them for treatment. As I said, ich is not selective. If its in your tank, all of your fish have it. I regularly see it on my kole and not my other fish which includes a second tang. A yellow tang.

i hate to disagree with you, but ich is selective , thats why it has to find a suitable hosts . ive seen tanks that have ich with like a clown and it doesnt kill them

Ich won't kill any of your fish if it is well managed. I agree to an extent with your statement. But it isn't the ich being selective. It has to do with the host having a very strong immune system and healthy slime coat.

About a week ago I noticed all of the algae in the DT was gone so the whole time he was trying to get to the spots with some still left. Ever since I put one piece of small nori in and he and my chromis love it the tang is fat an healthy with no scratches or cuts at all. He is happy and pretty now

Back