Blue stripe cleaner gobies

stingythingy45

BRS Member
How are they?
Do they really clean the fish like a shrimp does?
I'm thinking about adding one to the tank.

Last edited:
Do you mean a neon goby? We have two (in two different tanks) and they definitely look like they're cleaning. They each set up a station that some fish will come by and beg for a cleaning.

We have two. They're just about my favorite fish. I had trouble finding any and the ones that I did find were really, really small. They developed what appeared to be ick a few weeks ago (both the same morning... no signs on any other fish) so they're both in QT at the moment. They're great fish, fun personalities and most definitely clean. They'll even clean you when you put your hand in the tank. Mine stay together and host in a cup coral. Cool little guys.

FYI - one thing I learned is that two of the same gender won't get along if they don't have enough room to have their own turf.

Also, FWIW, there is some debate about how much cleaners actually clean parisites. At least some sources say that all the cleaners really clean is damaged skin on the fish, but they don't actually get to most parisites as the parisites are usually embedded in the skin.

*not saying that is fact or not, just relaying the debate as I have heard it. No personal exp though.*

Also, FWIW, there is some debate about how much cleaners actually clean parisites. At least some sources say that all the cleaners really clean is damaged skin on the fish, but they don't actually get to most parisites as the parisites are usually embedded in the skin.

*not saying that is fact or not, just relaying the debate as I have heard it. No personal exp though.*

Yeah John,

I read the same thing.But they might be getting some external parasites such as flukes,or what they call fish lice.

They're extremely friendly if you gain their trust. My little guy always perches on my arm when I spot feed my duncans and he eats rights from my fingers usually trying to steal food ment for the corals. He will even attempt to clean my arm as he waits for his turn to steal from the duncans.

Back