Breeding Clownfish

president89

Non-member
I've been trying to breed clownfish on and off (mostly off) for 15 years. I've finally got some babies post meta. I thought i'd share my success. I currently have 5 spawning pairs of clowns.
The video shows some Ocellaris x Vivid Ocellaris offspring and Picasso x Semi-Picasso offspring all are 30 DPH(DAYS POST HATCH)

I also have some Darwin x Black Snowflake through Meta, and some more picasso x semi-picasso offfspring about 3 DPH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT-VA8tQen8

How many did you start off with and how many made it past metamorphous? I have a pair of black and white ocellaris that have been laying eggs for a while now and I am thinking about trying to raise one of the next batch of fry. I have been doing my research as to what I need to get and do. I kind of got the ok from the wife so I am going to put a order in soon to get my supplies and start a rotifier culture.

Read Joyce Wilkerson's book Clownfishes and Matt Wittenrich's book The Complete Illustrated Breeder's Guide to Marine Aquarium Fishes.

You need rotifers, Rotifer feed(RG Complete is good for hobbyists, greenwater algae (Rotigreen Omega is the best), black rubber tubs, heaters, clip on lamps, air pumps, air lines, air stones, rigid air line, air manifolds, and a timer. Buy your rotifer and algae paste from Reedmariculture - there is no substitute no matter what you read. This is a decent website that goes through the details. http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/. Also, the best forum for breeding marine fish is MBISITE.org.

Keeping the rotifers is the hardest part. Getting clowns to lay eggs, and hatching them is easy peasy. It's keeping the food alive and nutritious that is hard.

If you want help let me know. I've made every mistake in the book.

I'm not sure how many I started off with, but I have 35 past meta (30 in the batch in the video).

Nice work... My Clark's lay eggs on the average of 3 to 4 weeks but no time to even try at hatching them.

I have a hatch that was just laid last night that I want to try and raise, I just need to find some rotifers. You wanna ship me some?

I actually have been reading a lot on this lately. After my loss of fish and deciding what clowns I wanted. Ordered a pair of Morse Code from Cultivated Reef Last night. Anyway I watch a bunch of vids on YouTube and they used baby brine shrimp to feed not Rotifers to get them past meta phase.

I actually have been reading a lot on this lately. After my loss of fish and deciding what clowns I wanted. Ordered a pair of Morse Code from Cultivated Reef Last night. Anyway I watch a bunch of vids on YouTube and they used baby brine shrimp to feed not Rotifers to get them past meta phase.

Baby brine are too big in the beginning, you sure they started with them and not rotifers? They say one baby brine is worth 40 rotifers.

Just went and looked while I am waiting for a member. You are right it was rots for the beginning. My fault. Watched so many thing and read a ton at work my brain was fried

I totally skipped baby brine and did great. Other large breeders skip them now as well. If they are more than 12 hours old, they can kill your fish from the inside. They aren't worth the hassle.

I totally skipped baby brine and did great. Other large breeders skip them now as well. If they are more than 12 hours old, they can kill your fish from the inside. They aren't worth the hassle.

So did you continue to feed rotifers?

Hi My Sebae Clownfish spawned yesterday. So needless to say ive been on youtube all night. I live in Pembroke MA where would you suggest that I get Phytoplankton ? Do you thing I should breed my own ?
Thanks for any help Michael

There is going to be nothing you can do with that set of eggs. By the time you set everything up and running they are going to hatch and you will not have stuff in place to support them. You need to set up a live rotifiers culture and get them to live and multiply without them dying off. I al looking at cycling a 10 gallon tank for they fry, getting a few heaters, thermometer, air pump with supplies, a couple of 5 gallon pales for the rotifiers, then setting something up for the clowns to lay their eggs on. I am looking to get two tiles and hanging them where they lay their eggs at and the spot has been a constant place. I am looking to get the rotifiers from www.reedmariculture.com. Then getting brine shrimp eggs from www.brineshrimpegg.com and start that culture a when the time is ready.

I was going to have reed mariculture fed ex overnight Rotifers culture and get the brine shrimp. I have a 93 gallons cube & a 75 gallon sump. I have a 10 gal/ 29gal & 40 gal breeder. I was going to set up the 10 gallon. I was going to go to lovely pets in Quincy and buy the

I was going to have reed mariculture fed ex overnight Rotifers culture and get the brine shrimp. I have a 93 gallons cube & a 75 gallon sump. I have a 10 gal/ 29gal & 40 gal breeder. I was going to set up the 10 gallon. I was going to go to lovely pets in Quincy and buy whatever else I need. I'm thinking they will be ready to hatch Monday or Tuesday next week. Do you feel there's no way I can pull this off ? What exactly do I need to order from reed mariculture ?

Looks good president! I have snowflake clowns laying every 3 weeks roughly, need to find someone who can raise them. I already put a flower pot in for them to lay in.

Back