bristle worms, spaghetti worms what do i do?

I'll take some spaghetti worms! :D Need some in the fuge.

What's the problem? Over run with them? You could be over feeding. The populations usually don't get out of control unless there is excess food around.

They are only bad if they grow really large, usually due to overfeeding the tank. But they are generally good for your display tank even the red ones.

Chuck Spyropulos said:
They are only bad if they grow really large

Why is this Chuck? I have several over a foot long and have never had a problem with them. And yes I do overfeed :)

Over a foot long? waoo, do you have a picture? Thanks

No pics. I'll try next time I see one. I had one in my sump a few weeks ago. Must have climbed the overflow. I scooped it out and put it back in the tank. Stretched out it was at least a foot, but when I touched it(with a small cup)It retracted to about 3" and as fat as my thumb. I actually have one thats closer to 18". It was coming out of a rock one day just poking around and it just kept coming out. It never completely came out but it was way more than a foot.

There are many different "bristle worms". Almost all are good for the tank but there are predatory "fireworms". The predetory ones are not common at all and I wouldn't worry unless you see them feeding on something.

I also have some really big ones...sometimes in the 12 inch range. As mentioned before, there are many species of bristle worms, some can munch on corals and clams, but I'd say in most cases they are not a problem. The automatic 'bristle worms = bad' notion passed away with many other reefkeeping myths (like the 'need damsels to cycle a tank', 'need artifical biofilter on reef tank', etc. etc.) Bristle worms can be annoying if you pick up rocks and move them about as it's quite easy to get the bristles stuck in your finger.

PHreef: over a foot?!! hats off!

what about bristle worms and jawfish-- any potential skirmishes there, or do the worms stick to their rocks and leave the sand beds alone for the most part?

theLIQUIDzoo said:
PHreef: over a foot?!! hats off!

That's the worms dude, just the worms :D

what about bristle worms and jawfish-- any potential skirmishes there, or do the worms stick to their rocks and leave the sand beds alone for the most part?

Not sure.(never had jawfish) I've moved rocks before and found these large worms underneath in the sand. So they don't just stay in the rocks.

Edit:part of my response came up in the quote box. ???

Back