Can a turtle tankbe converted into FOWLR?

gadolinium

Gadolinium
I have a 120G tank that has had aquatic turtles in it for 8 years. I was planning on cleaning it well and then cleaning it some more after that. If properly cleaned can I switch it to a salt tank.
I was also wondering what recs people had for lighting, filtration, amount of live rock, sand...etc. I will be starting with just the tank and stand.

Not sure I would risk it.I think the silicone can absorb/harbor unwanted nastys.If the tank was made for reptiles than a definite no.Hopefully others with more knowledge will chime in.

I wouldn't do it. What Willray said, the silicone will absorb ammonia from the turtle waste and once it hits water, it will leech back into the tank.

If the tank was made to hold water I'd give it a good cleaning and it will be fine. Never heard of silicone absorbing ammonia.

If the tank was made to hold water I'd give it a good cleaning and it will be fine. Never heard of silicone absorbing ammonia.

I can speak from experience. When I worked for the pet store, we did try and convert reptile tanks to fish tanks and lost everything we put in. This was after a very thorough cleaning. We tested fresh water after two days in the tank with no fish and the ammonia levels were very high. Just because you've never heard of it, does not make it false.

If you do decide to use the tank for fish, please be careful. I'd fill and drain/rinse it several times as well as test it before considering it.

The glass on Turtle tank is very thin. I saw some nice turtle tank with great dimension 48"x24"x18 but I am not sure if it would hold water as good as fish tank.

Thanks for the replies. I've always looked at that tank and thought it was a shame to use it for turtles. I'm going to try converting the tank to salt. I'll clean it well and then cycle it for months before I use it for any fish.

i would do it, assuming your tank is suited for water. when first setting up a tank, the tank goes through a cycle, an ammonia cycle at that.

maybe someone can tell what the difference is if the silicone was to leech ammonia into the tank when first setting it up even though theres an ammonia cycle anyway?

well it definately absorbs nasties out of the water... jus like rock will... best to jus pass and not take the chance...

to the OP, check out a 40g breeder from Petco this week, $40 brand spankin' new ;) cant go wrong! lol

If you decide not to risk it sell it to me. Ill risk it.
If you do set it up i would put some polyfilter pads in it and do multiple water changes to draw the amonia out.

I have a 120G tank that has had aquatic turtles in it for 8 years. I was planning on cleaning it well and then cleaning it some more after that. If properly cleaned can I switch it to a salt tank.
I was also wondering what recs people had for lighting, filtration, amount of live rock, sand...etc. I will be starting with just the tank and stand.

can you tell us how thick the glass is, and how much water you kept in it? 8 years old is definitely long in the tooth for a tank. I'd be thinking about something newer, I think.

can you tell us how thick the glass is, and how much water you kept in it? 8 years old is definitely long in the tooth for a tank. I'd be thinking about something newer, I think.
knowing now it was a used tank when you bought it I'm guessing its age at ten years plus.You should be made aware that it takes a saltwater tank a almost a year to really mature and establish a good biodiversity and balance.So when your tank starts to come into it's own as vibrant display it will be almost 12 years old or older.I have had 120 gallons of water get loose in my living room and it is not fun.Imo i would definitely get a newer tank

Can the silicone "dry" out and loose its seal somewhat after it had water in it then sat dry for 8 yrs time?

The tank has been filled with 80 gallons of water for almost all of that time. Lowest it ever got was about 60 gallons. When I was draining the tank today and scrubbing in the corners I noticed the silicone could be lifted up in many places. I could not lift it to the glass, but it has me worried. Assuming the tank is at least 10 years old should I try to re-seal it or would it be better to stay away from this tank? If I did try to re-seal it would it be difficult to do?

Back