Can my floor hold 45 gallons

absolutecarrot

Non-member
So I am thinking of getting a frag tank system that will be 45 gallon. It will be upstairs, I already already have a 20 gallon across the room. Im guessing that it will be around 400 to 450 pounds. Does anyone keep aquariums upstairs and do you think I can put 45 gallons upstairs. Thanks for the help

Mostly okay. If it’s in the corner or near a load bearing wall, it’s definitely be okay.
I had a 55gal 30x22x20 in a corner when I was still living in my parents house when I first started the hobby and it was okay.
The dimension of the tank also plays a role. Given that it’s a frag tank, the height is likely short and the footprint is wide so you have more area to distribute the weight.
if you know how the joists are ran, placing the tank perpendicular to it is ideal.

Mostly okay. If it’s in the corner or near a load bearing wall, it’s definitely be okay.
I had a 55gal 30x22x20 in a corner when I was still living in my parents house when I first started the hobby and it was okay.
The dimension of the tank also plays a role. Given that it’s a frag tank, the height is likely short and the footprint is wide so you have more area to distribute the weight.
if you know how the joists are ran, placing the tank perpendicular to it is ideal.

thanks for advice

in my experience if a floor can't hold both a 45 and a 20 gal, it can't hold 2 friends visiting, so if that's the case I'd live somewhere else !

This is how i always look at it... lol

Im 230 my buddies 300 we can stand next to each other and that's gonna be 530 on 1.5 square feet.... def ask a professional thou as you can see how im doing my figuring lol...

I saw your question on the FishOfHex live stream. It depends. It should probably be okay, but I wouldn’t put a lowboy upstairs or on my main floor. I bought a lowboy a couple of months ago and put it in the basement. The lowboys are inexpensive, but they feel flimsy. I’d be more comfortable with a 40 breeder in my living area or something like the 25gal that Joker has for sale.

Last edited:
Using you and your friend(s) as a reference is so inaccurate.
You and your friend(s) are not very likely to stay in the same place for more than 15mins. A tank sits there for months and years.
hmmm, okm how bout this...if I could get my friends to stay in one spot indefinitely, and I still had worries about the floor, I'd still vacate the premises.

im getting this with a 20 gallon sump and ato reservoir

Check with Shawn over at @CrazyCorals I know he sells frag tanks.

That looks nice. I’ll probably get a frag tank from them someday if the lowboy ever breaks for some reason.

This is me is correct.
Live load verses dead load.
How old is the house?
An exterior wall is ALMOST always your best bet unless is a very very old home with a balloon frame...
The center wall is often supported by a bearing wall, which would likely work ok too.
If you know the general age of the home, and style, ie cape, colonial, etc it will help.
Licensed builder here.

FWIW, I pulled the engineer specs for my house built in 2011 and convinced myself that in normal size rooms in my house (~15’ walls or so), I could put up to a 110G against any wall in any room without getting more that a 1/2” deflection, which is what I considered too much. So for my house, I wouldn’t think twice about a 40G even if not perpendicular to a joist or against an exterior wall. In *your* house, I have no idea.

yes dont forget the possibility of termites, carpender ants. and even general rot...and if structure is old enough, are joists 24" on center?.

This is me is correct.
Live load verses dead load.
How old is the house?
An exterior wall is ALMOST always your best bet unless is a very very old home with a balloon frame...
The center wall is often supported by a bearing wall, which would likely work ok too.
If you know the general age of the home, and style, ie cape, colonial, etc it will help.
Licensed builder here.

my house is from and 1800s but it has huge beams

Back