Carbon and GFO mix

Dan Diozzi

Non-member
Anyone know how much carbon and GFO I should add to a 50 gal system? I know the ratio is 2 parts carbon to one part GFO

Are you using them in the same reactor?
I never heard of any ratio between Carbon and GFO. Just use them as much as you need. You don't even have to use them at the same time either.
Each of them perform a different job.

I usually do a 3:1 mixture since carbon usually gets exhausted quicker and the GFO usually clumps if not tumbled. Just make sure not to tumble the media if combined.

Just re-read your question. I guess it depends on your system and what you're looking for. If my water looked "yellow" I would run more and do a water change but have gotten lazy after a few years. Now I run about a cup of the mixture in a reactor and change the water every week or two.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. Just trying to reduce phosphates a tad and get the water quality to be a tad better too. Its a tiny bit cloudy at times

There is a great calculator function at bulk reef supply that will let you choose water volume and the type of media you are using to calculate how much media to use. I have found it very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back