GFO and Carbon

Rone

Non-member
In the process of setting up a 90 gallon tank and want to know if running GFO and carbon 24/7 would be advisable? What are the advantages and disadvantages to them?
This will be a reef tank.

I run the BRS dual reactor with GFO and Carbon 27/4 and change it when I see the Phos show up on my weekly testing. I have crystal clear water. I see no issues unless you don't change the media when needed.

The plan is to use as much old water as possible. The only mix up will be sand bed. Plan to use some cleaned LS with about 5 lbs of good stuff from tank.

I run carbon and GFO 24/7 on my current running tank. And running carbon on the tank being set up.

Is this a new tank that needs to cycle?
Tagging along.. my tank has completed cycling and I think the GFO is getting consumed very quickly... Is it common occurrence at the end of the cycle?

I put the recommended amount in my media reactor as per the GFO calculator on BRS and within couple of weeks the algae started growing again.. there is no livestock in the tank except some cerith snails... nitrates ammonia and nitrites are zero..

Tagging along.. my tank has completed cycling and I think the GFO is getting consumed very quickly... Is it common occurrence at the end of the cycle?

I put the recommended amount in my media reactor as per the GFO calculator on BRS and within couple of weeks the algae started growing again.. there is no livestock in the tank except some cerith snails... nitrates ammonia and nitrites are zero..

yep Normal , algae is just a part of reef tanks in my opinion . yeah we need to control it and keep it from "taking over " but its there and always will be GFO and carbon always will be too probably . I am going to be changing to a dosing set up over next couple weeks and will be able to keep Mag levels Juuuust a bit higher to try and combat the algae and maybe be able to run less GFO . Thats my .02 cents

Back