Changing my name to GSP killer :::SIGH:::

mustangtjb

BRS Member
Hello All,

So I thought my tanks were ready, I dipped and placed a duncan and some GSP in my tank and less than a week later the duncan seems to be just OK but the GSP is (I'm guessing) dead.

Bummed had high hopes hearing GSP was hardy. Well if anyone can kill it it's definitely me !! LOL Discouraged but not giving up. I've read a lot about their temperament and hardiness any opinions on this ?

Included a pic of the duncan as well. I'd appreciate any expert feedback. Thanks, (signed) GSP Killer !!

Attachments

• IMG_20180207_101910.jpg
    IMG_20180207_101910.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_20180207_101914.jpg
    IMG_20180207_101914.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_20180207_101954.jpg
    IMG_20180207_101954.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_20180207_102005.jpg
    IMG_20180207_102005.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 237
GPS can take a month or more to open they have a mind of their own, it takes a lot of skill to kill that stuff its the no easy task.

Jim

Don’t sweat it, give it some time. I have a large patch they the whole thing will just randomly close up and then reopen the next day lol. BTW I actually killed Xenia [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I didn’t kill GSP.... my pink encrusting gorgonian did.... at least that’s what I keep telling myself [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Just a crappy confidence crusher when you're starting out. Not sure if your coral is dying or just temperamental. LOL Any feedback in the duncan the stalk was a nice white ish when I brought it home now it is a brown green ish (see pic) and TY to everyone again.

You will lose many while learning. God knows I did [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As long as the polyps are coming out and not slowly retracting everyday you are good.

I am still an sps killer... I try and try again, some do well but most die.

I recently was gone over the weekend and my evaporation stopped water going to and from my sump... red cap is bleaching now as well as pocillapora, scroll, and a couple acros because temp dropped to 68-72!

Lps looks ok. I also need to start a dosing pump and get an ato.... maybe next year?

Corals usually need to adapt then recover from tank to tank. Target feed the Duncan once a week and keep your tank parameters stable. Should look good in no time

Move it to a higher flow area. By the growth on it it seems that it's not getting enough flow. As for lighting doesn't really matter as long as your not roasting it.

Consider yourself lucky if you did kill it lol... You'll like it at the beginning and then you'll hate yourself for ever putting it in your tank lol...

Thanks for all the feedback folks.

@Docstach thank you for the offer but I got my hands full so far so I'm going to respectfully decline at this juncture.

So here is the latest.

After being out most of today I come home to see this (see attached picture). It is an orange/rusty build up in a bunch of spots in the tank. I ran ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and they we off the charts (I tested last night and the levels were fine). I've since added Seachem Prime and did a 50% water change retested A, ite and ate and salinity. All are back in check.

Some questions:
1) Is this rusty build up normal at any time in a newer tank cycle ?
2) Could it be that the GSP i've been trying to save is decomposing in the tank? (no joke I actually THOUGHT I saw regrowth in the last few days thought I saw some small stalks of something "opening up" on different areas of the frag.
3) Could it be algae of some sort i've had the light on a ton lately?

Thanks in advance I appreciate the advice and feedback

Attachments

• IMG_20180210_181948.jpg
    IMG_20180210_181948.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 191
Gsp is tough to kill, it will close up for a few days and then the polyps will extend. Be patient.

Chris/All,

Thx for the feedback and offer. I picked up some xenia Friday from Frank180reef (thanks Frank) on Friday and the good news is it looks like it's already grown a bit (or at least it's happy).

SOOO I learned/remembered a few things today. (One of which I should have remembered from the freshwater days).

I've been leaving the light on almost 24x7 in the frag tank which (as I recall now) = algae outbreak.

Bought a timer to fix this. Lights are the cheapo kit lights that came with the display tank. I replaced the display tank lights with the Aqua Illumination Prime. Grabbed a trochus snail (sp?) and he already has a bunch of it cleaned up !! LOL. I'm such a tool !!

Well hopefully thins turn around.

Back